Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external firewiew/USB2 drives

• Please log in to reply

blegdon

blegdon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey kids here is a head scratcher for me ( anyway ) i have 2 external hard drives, wd100gig and a wd160gig and one is in a "generic" external enclosure, that has both usb2 and firewire interfaces ( to ide )
and i have the 160 gig is in an ataptec external drive enclosure with both firewire and usb2 interfaces, connected to a dell insperon laptop ( bought last oct )..ok so there is the equiptment list, now here is the rub..
anytime i do extended drive access, regardless of the interfece ( although the USB2 does seem more stable) randomly the drive will stop responding and i will get an " unable to write to drive "X" error and data may be lost...etc" if i look at "my computer" the drive is usually no longer there and i need to reboot the drive and reconnect it to get it to be recognized.

just so you fully understand i am doing video capture so "whole lot of ones and zeros are flying about"
on these drives.

(I know it sounds like a job for scsi but...alas this is the gear i have at the moment)
curiously enough these same boxes worked flawlessly on a mac G2 ( aargh )
well anyway i was wondering if there was some setting, ..cache dump delay, or something that might help.

thanks a lot gang
-Bill

Advertisements

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
It should work without problem. but Just one of my experience:
Few years back I went to flee maket and buy a generic encloser and same thing that hape to you now, run,froze off,crash....you name it. and finally it took me about a month to find out that it was the cheap cable and the deformed plug that came with it. After that, thing still happen but a lot less. What I did was pull out the ad on usb front panel,which came from flee market too, and replace it with brand name one. Problem FIXED ever since.
One thing I forgot is you using them with your lap top. by right it should be OK but you have to remember that lap top not made to do that job and very limited power supply machine's resouce even you have it plug to the wall. Just remember most of lap top consume only about 70 to 100 watts. and most of desk top you talking about average 400 watts!!!! So try to do that on a desk top or have the job done on the internal HD then transfer finished work over to your externals.

Edited by mcpscomp, 11 March 2006 - 07:18 PM.