Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

oh no... how much is this going to cost?

• Please log in to reply

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Yet another peice of software from microsoft huh?

Just wondering if anyone knows how much its going to cost exactly? I bet it'll be like $900, and for that, is the reason why so many people are still using Windows 98, because people cant afford to upgrade!

Hmm... anyway just thought I would express my feelings on the matter.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well XP prices are currently very good its very affordabel a home xp or copy of MCE2005 goes from £50 to £80 which considering what it is and the service you get thats very good.

They havent anounced any firm pricing yet, but they are offering several packages from a budget to a highly advanced extreme version i wouldnt think the budget would be over a 100 certainly though its possible the extreme edition for gamers and other high end users will cost siginificantly more.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
gezz man... XP in New Zealands about $500... thats why i'm sticking to Windows 2000, I cant afford that type of money. Thats why I was wondering how much it was going to cost.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Really thats alot, but in NZ it seams everything pc related costs alot, i dont know why it should technically be cheaper as youre closer to the place of manufacture than the US and Europe.

Although those prices are pushing it, have you checked out MCE 2005 its usually a little cheaper ive noticed if you get it without the remote, but those prices are unusually high windows pricing everywhere else is at an all time low because they are encouraging people to use it as its high price drove people to illegal copies of XP.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
yeh exactly and thats the way im heading... getting an illegal copy :| (between you and me) haha

when i said $500... I didn't actually mean $500... its more like $300-$400 NZD

~Iceman~

~Iceman~

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm sure it's going to be very expensive. How much was XP when it first came out? But i heard it needs a really really high end computer to run it. That would punch up the price quite a lot if you have a computer like me.

Invisible Man

Invisible Man

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I believe there is 5 version of windows vista, and I am sure the home version will be affortable. I bought my retail xp for 115,00 € so its worth it for me and my family because its mine.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
There are actually 7 versions of Vista at last notice

In the Home category, there are Windows Starter 2007, Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, and Windows Vista Ultimate

In the Business category, there will are three editions: Windows Vista Small Business, Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Enterprise

There are also two versions for Vista Business and Vista basic for the European market (due to lawsuits), called Home Basic N and Vista Business N

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
My uncle works at Microsoft and he has a high ranking position. He says he heard word that it will cost between $150-$300. Then again he could be wrong. :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, the question is what will cost that much?

Retail, OEM, upgrade? Which version?

I expect prices will range from $79 for an upgrade basic to nearly $400 for retail ultimate....but that's just a guess.

Advertisements

Ammalgam

Ammalgam

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
The whole releasing 7 versions of an OS thing...

What the heck is that? We've gone from Professional and Server versions to Ultimate, Business, Enterprise etc etc etc

I think that for some rerason MSFT are going out of their way to complicate matters when they could be simpler. This is reflected not just in their versions but also in just their general rollout strategy for Vista.

Just my 10 cents..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well they have done it to help reduce piracy as a big thing, and to help users and OEM builders, for example a gamer or high end PC user would need Ultimate and the features it comes with, but your family with their first PC or the grandma down the street wont need any of that so they have created cheaper versions with fewer/different features and layouts.

Also for business it suits them they dont need anything a home user needs sometimes and they dont neccesarily want it, they want an OS for productivity not entertainment so thats what they can get. And in business complexity is less of a factor because if you arent smart enough to work out which one is for you, you arent smart enough to run your own business.

Seems fairly simple to me, Starter will be the cheap version like the lite versions of XP provided to 3rd world users as this was a huge source of piracy this is helping them tackle it. Home basic will be for light PC users and beginers families etc etc. Home premium for the people who have had a PC for a while and know what they are doing and want to try the more adventurous things but still need a bit of simplicity and lower cost it would also be for people who cant afford ultimate. Ultimate will have the more complex features and the price tag to go with them, i dont know if it is still going to have it but it was supposed to handle games and other full screen 3d apps with a virtualised new version of DOS for games to cut down on resource usage from a superflous GUI.

doorknob

doorknob

• Pip
  • 1 posts

yeh exactly and thats the way im heading... getting an illegal copy :| (between you and me) haha

when i said $500... I didn't actually mean $500... its more like $300-$400 NZD

use linux its FREE!! and better...i haven't used linux all my life i have used Windows 98,ME (crap) XP, their really no good.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I'm tired of seeing this "Use linux" blurb. I'm sure it's a very good OS, and of course it is free, but it can't match Windows for giving the user a massive choice of almost any application or PC hardware on the market. I couldn't get by without Photoshop (no, the Gimp doesn't cut it for me). I don't use a Mac because the software base is more limited than Windows, and many peripheral devices aren't supported, so I'm hardly likely to give Linux a thought am I?

Edited by pip22, 16 June 2006 - 01:55 PM.

Andyman111

Andyman111

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

My uncle works at Microsoft and he has a high ranking position. He says he heard word that it will cost between $150-$300. Then again he could be wrong. :whistling:

That's what I was thinking also because they need to make it affordable enough that there average user can afford it.