Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Weird Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

dasickis

dasickis

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well this is the weirdest problem I have come over with Microsoft XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.

The problem is that my employer has a computer that installs everything to Z:\ (which was a faulty virtual network drive before I disconnected it so whenever any program tries to install to Z: it gets an invalid error and exits) as a default but when I check the registry

C:\Program Files

is the default value under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
String: ProgramFilesDir

but if I change that value to

Q:\Program Files

then the program gives me a

Q:\ is not a valid drive error

Which is promising since now I think the reason is the C: drive is linking to Z: but I'm not sure why and how. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is but this is my best hypothesis. Let me know if you guys can come up with something that could help me fix this error.

Advertisements