Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shareware Installer

• Please log in to reply

LthrnckPA

LthrnckPA

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I am running a clean XP installation of the XP disc that came with my PC. I formatted the HD, partitioned it, and followed all the directions. Immediately after installing I got ALL of the recommended malware protection and then all of the MS updates, including SP2.

My computer will not install a LOT of my purchased software. (WordPerfect 11, Roxio Media Creator 6.0, Quicken 2000, Quicken Family Lawyer, and Turbo-Tax Deluxe 2006 just purchased today) I get a multitude of reactions, mostly consisting of erro messages telling me the *.cab file is corrupt or different or incorrect. Then the programs remove themselves and I am back at square one.

Since you recommend so much open source stuff, I was wondering if there is an open source Installer that might alleviate these problems.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Install shield is free it comes with software, have you tried uninstalling it and let it resintall the latest version from whatever is the newest peice of software you have.

LthrnckPA

LthrnckPA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Nope, I guess I'll give that a go next. stay tuned,,,,,,,,

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There are other installers but the software has to be adapted to use them and install shield is the most popular one so your stuck with it.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Use windows explorer and browse to c:\program files\common files.
Rename the InstallShield folder to something else and then when you try to install something it will automatically install the version that's on the disk.