Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A question before I use recovery disc

• Please log in to reply

HughJ

HughJ

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I've saved all my text documents and jpg's to cd, and I'm going to use my recovery disc. My pc is acting up......I'll spare the details lol. Trust me, it's near crashing. :tazz:

My question is, since I've used the net to purchase items, and to get my credit report, will all traces of my personal info be wiped clean ?

I've been told every keystroke I've ever made on my pc is logged somewhere on my hard drive and can be extracted by a net intruder, or offline as well... reinstalling my os won't deleted all traces of personal info.

Is this true ?

Thanks in advance

Hugh

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi HughJ...

Yes and No...

Formatting and reinstalling the operating system will make it very difficult to recover data. It would basically take someone with good knowledge of computer forensics to recover anything. The chances of someone spending that kind of time on your machine without you knowing it would be very slim. In short, the format and reinstall is usually good enough for the average Joe.

wannabe1

HughJ

HughJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

Good enough,
I'll go ahead and do the reinstall for now, and get a new hard drive down the road.

Thanks again :tazz:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You might want to back up your address book and your Favorites, too.

Johanna