Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Google getting too powerful?

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
They're getting into every branch of business! Its ridiculous! First just a search engine, then they skyrocketed to everything else! I just read on GTG that they are going to revival eBay. I have heard they might start their own internet service. They are a good company, but I don't like the fact that one company can have its way in so many branches of business.

What do you think? Is google becoming a little too powerful?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No not really, companies expand into different areas all the time and google is very popular and makes alot of money and if they didnt expand that money wouldnt go anywhere. It would be a bit odd if they didnt try to expand there business into other related areas and the fact that they are a company that is trusted makes them a good candidate for that kind of thing.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I think an ebay type site run by google would be great. They have had years to see where ebay made mistakes. They also seem to always have great ideas to keep things interesting. When they came around everyone used google because it was better than what was already around. Cant wait to see what they do this time.

ScHwErV :tazz:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
If google is going against MS or at least offer some kind of alternative, then I am really happy, it is about time that this monopoly was broken, and to go against MS one has to be big so wish them luck. I mean who here hasn't felt at some point or other that MS, and not Google, is always trying to push one into buying their newest system, but no, we have all been through this rant before here, lets just say that I will see how far I can go with XP before malware and incomplatability problems once more push me on to Vista then, only to our loveable malware friends, who keep this site happily bissy, ruin it in turn.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
True... I do like the idea of them challenging Microsoft, but I am afraid they are becoming a "Microsoft".

Eh, time will tell. Sooner or later, time will tell.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Whats wrong with MS anyway, i dont mind a monopoly as long as they dont abuse it which generally MS doesnt, all there bad practices they did before they were a monopoly and its not just them either. MS is a pretty ethical company by todays stndards i dont mind them having a dominant marketing share as long as they maintain the standards, same goes to google monopolise all you want just dont abuse it.

Being a monopoly isnt something companies delibirately choose competition is good for everyone,but if one company offers the best product then obviously people are going to use them more than there competitors if they dont have the competition.

I dont see why MS get so much bad press, they are one of the better companies and bill gates gives more of his own money to charity than most governments do.

If the challenge MS though thats good because thats more competition and that is only going to benefit everyone.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I don't find anything wrong with Microsoft, just a lot of other people do for some reason.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'd love to see google take over a larger area of many different area's since i, the consumer, love compitition. Which gerally gives a better product for a lower price. Who can resist that?
James

Edit: i second what warriorscot says

Edited by james_8970, 13 March 2006 - 10:04 PM.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Competition isn't always better.

I learned this when I researched when the U.S. government split up AT&T.

They thought it would lower prices and crap, but it didn't really. AT&T wasn't like horrid in prices then, but now they are buying back their former parts one by one again. :tazz:

twotspinson

twotspinson

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I think the bottom line is, if Boogle can beat out the existing companies like ebay by exanding, then fine. Google would obviously have something ebay doesn't. There's nothing wrong with that. After all, if the customers like Google's services better, then Google's doing a great job.

Advertisements

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Boogle. :whistling:

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Whats wrong with MS anyway, i dont mind a monopoly as long as they dont abuse it which generally MS doesnt, all there bad practices they did before they were a monopoly and its not just them either.

Being a monopoly isnt something companies delibirately choose competition is good for everyone,but if one company offers the best product then obviously people are going to use them more than there competitors if they dont have the competition.

The problem with a monopoly arises when technology stagnates. How do you know Windows XP is the best operating system out there? How do you know that some startup company didn't create one 1,000x better but it was bought up/smashed out of existance by Microsoft.

I'm not saying that MS has done that, but that's the inherent danger of a monopoly. Technology, etc. doesn't have to improve because there's nothing driving it forward... no young pups nipping at their heels when they can just squash it with pure market share.

MS isn't a totally amoral company or anything, they just have developed the exact same problems as every other monopoly. In order to maintain your monopoly you have to crush the newcomers. Good business? Sure. Ethical? Absolutely! Good for the consumer? Not so much.

As for MS ethics, remember that this is a company that threatened to pull Windows licencing from Gateway if they packaged Netscape with the system. That's just one example of extremely anti-competeiive behavior.

Google? They're not even a monopoly in search engines yet.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I agree with Guse. Competition drives growth and innovation. Without the competition, companies lose the need for growth. Economic theory has documented this very well...

As far as Google becoming a monopoly, it isn't that big yet. Think of IBM, it used to be huge. Had it's hand in everything. They started with systems, then moved and grew, then they stagnated and couldn't keep up with smaller start-ups that had both drive and focus. Now, IBM is back to doing what it started: systems. Helpdesk anyone?

Google will continue to grow until they can't sustain the growth, or people start to not trust them. I think we have a while before we need to worry about that. What we do need to worry about are subpeonas...

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

Google is great. Google products are great. I like how they step back and let others try things and mess up, and then correct the problems and release their own version. I also like how they release new products to us. When Gmail came out, did it have tons of bells and whistles and look all flashy? No. It was a very basic, easy to use, web mail client.

Over time they added new features, and they worked, making Gmail the best web-base email account system out there. Plus the fact that they offer instructions on how to access your email from your favourite email app, including Outlook.

Another thing I like about Google is the wide range of products offered to the public at no cost whatsoever. You can have pretty much any Google program for free. Yes there are things you need to pay for, but I mean, look at what you get!

In my opinion, Google isn't a monopoly, not even close. They aren't controlling the market in any aspect. You aren't forced to use their product, you don't have to pay, and nowhere did anyone say that Google is the standard for all the products they offer. Everyone uses Google and Google products because they are well manufactured, researched and developed. Google employs and very smart team of people and they know how to get the public's attention.

They have lots of money because people know a good thing when they see it. In terms of Google being too powerful, well, exactly how are they powerful? It's not like they're shoving Google down our throats and forcing us to use it or else. So what if their products become the most popular and available. Google works, end of story.

Cheers:)

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
why is MS and google fighting?