Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Google getting too powerful?

• Please log in to reply

Andyman111

Andyman111

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
No there not too powerful. I personally love Google and alot of there services and there just expanding there services,ect. There company has definetly grown though and they have gotten better over the years(not that they weren't good in the beginning, they were wonderful way back in the ol'days too).

Advertisements

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Google is one of the best websites in the world, it offers the BEST search engine, one of the best email services, now it has a video search too... it's true, it is getting a lot of power, but if they have power and use this power the same way they used their will to make the googl search engine...we are in good hands.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
well ive heared that they employed many of microsofts top employees. many people i talk to believe they are planing on making a new opperating system and internat browser etc
this would be reay good as microsoft is far to influentual in schools etc

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I removed a few worthless posts. A reminder, keep things on topic.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Like it or not MS os is the standard, noone is going to give up their peace of mind, knowing that their stuff works with MS os, for an untried system then. Programs, games and the like are all set to MS os too, so even though one already has viable alternative platforms such as the likes of mac and linux, everyone sticks with MS os so I think that as long as there is no open standard plug and play for comp parts and game running MS will always have control of the market regardless of what google or any other potencial platform maker comes up with. In short, google does not, and will likely never have, enough power to offer a credible alternative to MS, whereas MS has the power and money to offer a credible alternative to google

SignAngel

SignAngel

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
From what I've read, everybody seems to think that Google's search is "the best out there." I feel that there are others better: AltaVista, Dogpile, etc. And while I agree that many people prefer the tried-and-true OS, I think that if Google develops an OS to rival MS, there will be eople who buy it. However, I think that, seeing the strangle-hold that MS has on the market, Google (or whoever, because it's inevitable) will develop their OS to be compatable with the programs out there already, plus programs of their own only compatable with their OS. That's smart marketing. What companies do now isn't necessarily so smart. Like Rec Warehouse... It's a pool/recreational factory wholesaler. We bought a pool from them, and when a part cracked, we couldn't get a replacement to fit because the factory uses an off-size so no other part but theirs will fit. It forces you to go back. While that's smart in the short term, it completely screws you over in the long-run. You need products made for your stuff, but also compatable with what's out there.

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I think google is a marvellous group, I like their search engine, I love their calendar, gmail, spreadsheet etc. Didn't quite get acquainted with Google Desktop, but I think google is innovative and that counts. And in the google-vs-MS battle, I'm definitely on the google side.

However, I think that, seeing the strangle-hold that MS has on the market, Google (or whoever, because it's inevitable) will develop their OS to be compatable with the programs out there already, plus programs of their own only compatable with their OS.

I don't know if that would work, because then the OS would be buggy as the programs themselves. :whistling: Or not?

epics

epics

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
why is apple popular when these phones blow? 400 bucks down the drain. ugh.

Down With Malware!

Down With Malware!

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I don't think Google is getting too big or powerful, it can only get better and not worse. Without Google we wouldn't have Youtube and stuff like that. I don't really like there search engine since there's a lot of malware ads and such. I can easily see them make a really cool new OS that rivals MS Windows like Coke is to Pepsi. :)

korhinta

korhinta

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
http://www.theonion....-privacy,14358/

Advertisements

Steve_gts

Steve_gts

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Google are getting a bit of a stranglehold on many aspects of the internet it's true, but, if they didn't offer good services nobody would use them, then they would lose their grip, so personally I feel they are perfectly entitled to the market share they have. Lots of the SEO forums often have this kind of discussion, but it's usually people who are quite happy to use G's services them self, who are complaining about it.

WildmanTodd

WildmanTodd

• Pip
  • 1 posts

No not really, companies expand into different areas all the time and google is very popular and makes alot of money and if they didnt expand that money wouldnt go anywhere. It would be a bit odd if they didnt try to expand there business into other related areas and the fact that they are a company that is trusted makes them a good candidate for that kind of thing.

Hello,I agree,and I really enjoy the fact that Google is probably the only company out there that has vision in its operations that usually brings Imaginative concepts to their products,which make them fun to use,so many good things about google,I haven't really ever had a negative opinion of anything Google,but as far as Getting too powerful,No!Anyone That can one day put Microsoft on the back burner is the One we have all been waiting on.I love the fact that Google has billions in liquid assets in the event of yet another Microsoft buyout of one company or another.I will admit Microsoft has been buzy steadily working on their Public Image cause they even know how their public image is to the rest of the world,They know that they're the top of the heap,and in any good business plan everyone should strive to achieve that,which they have by anything less than honestly I feel but nevertheless,I am rooting all the way for Google or anyone to get positioned to be able to go head to head with Microsoft.

Fishh

Fishh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
To answer your question, does anyone know what Google's Campus mascot is? I kid you not, it's a T-rex:

Posted Image

I think that sums up their ultimate goal pretty well :)

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Why is MS and Google fighting?

Well... I think the story is something like this:

Microsoft is a big name for technology - there's more to MS then just MS-Windows... MS is focused on developing Windoze, and as such neglects the significants of a new developing marketing area known as the internet. Sense then Microsoft has been playing catch-up. Their not as big a player in the Internet Search market as they want to be. Bing is Microsoft's answer to Google's search (first they tried Live but that didn't work I guess).

Meanwhile, Google starts up, gains a upper-hand and market share in internet searching. From there they expand to other enterprises that microsoft previously held strong dominance in: Gmail (hotmail), Docs & Spreadsheets (Office) - I think this one stepped up the heat a tad, and now Microsoft talks of a "Live" version of office (free, I think) -, Chrome (IE), and - now the one that brings the fight to a boiling point and very apparent - Chrome OS (which, as I understand it should be real interesting, though in its current form, doesn't sound like its going to be much of a competition to Windows as its more an extension of the Chrome browser and doesn't really use a HD - everything in the cloud). Oh and then there's Android, but that's more in competition with Apple.

Also - in an attempt to compete Microsoft tries to buy out Yahoo! (with some deal being struck where Microsoft supplies the ads for Yahoo!).

Something like that.

As for the other points of this discussion:

Why does everyone bad-mouth Microsoft?

Well, for me at least, it always seemed like Microsoft's #1 interest was $s (there bottom line - making a profit); Google, on the other hand always seemed to keep the end-user as their first priority.

As for a monopoly - I think not - just because you hold a interest in a lot of different things doesn't make you a monopoly. They don't even hold enough dominance in SEs to have a monopoly on that market. Far too many people still use Yahoo!.

Auser

Auser

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
best thing about google is FREE. it provides many good services for free