Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Google getting too powerful?

• Please log in to reply

jackson_smith

jackson_smith

• Pip
  • 9 posts

I am saying that the Internet is not private, it is public. You can not expect privacy in any public area.
That is like going to a public beach and expecting no one there to see you.
Look at it like this, go in to walmart and complain that the security cameras are violating your privacy. You have no right to privacy in walmart, same for any other public place. (and unless you own the Internet you have no right to privacy when ou use the Internet)

But can you compare a person getting on the net to a person going to Wal-Mart or the beach? The reason that I'm not so sure you can do that is b/c when you go to Wal Mart or the beach, you are physically present in your entirety at that location; people can also "identify specifics" about you--your hair, your clothes, your look, etc...you are physically present at that location. However, they might not know your social security number, drivers license number, what color your wallet is, who your girlfriend is (and how many total you've had your entire lifetime), your criminal history (if you have any), and personal information like that (ok, maybe the color of your wallet isn't something THAT personal; but you get the general idea about what I'm saying :D )

Now; when I get on the internet...sheesh! LORD KNOWS who I am; I can say I am someone I'm not. I could claim to be someone's cousin twice removed, I can claim to be a famous actor, I can claim to be in Colorado when I'm really from TN--but no one really know who I am. Sure, you could try triangulation, but that doesn't always work, especially if I got TOR and do a super bang up job of changing my habits.

...My point is that you can't really pull that kind of stuff off if you're physically present at a Florida Wal-Mart or beach (ie "Hi; I'm Tom and I'm in Colorado right now; you only THINK I'm in Florida!") People can identify you better in the real world--but they can't if you're on-line! That's the first point; the second point is, when it comes to internet privacy, do you really NOT have a problem with giving me your personal information?

Let's go a step further now; let's say I'm an on-line company and I gather information about my clients. Maybe you DON'T care if you're a woman and I, the third party vendor can tell what color bras you like to buy, what sizes of bra you purchase, what kind, color, and size of condoms you purchase on average, who your bf is, and the name of your father who goes to the Baptist Church just down Delaney Street in Boulder, Colorado? Oh; and did I also mention that I had a side contract with Facebook and Blogspot? Did you know that I also happen to know the name of your pet beverly hills chihuahua, the color of house you live in, the name of your bf, where he lives, what color of car he has, the fact that he has women he schmoozes behind your back and to top it all off--I ALSO know the name of this man's WIFE, his adorable three kids, and where the wife works at!

"But isn't that illegal?"

No my friend; it's information gathered for "research purposes". After all, I conduct studies on my clients once every three months and I have to know what their interests are if I'm going to effectively sell them merchandise.

:D

Edited by jackson_smith, 04 April 2011 - 01:23 PM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

I am saying that the Internet is not private, it is public. You can not expect privacy in any public area.
That is like going to a public beach and expecting no one there to see you.
Look at it like this, go in to walmart and complain that the security cameras are violating your privacy. You have no right to privacy in walmart, same for any other public place. (and unless you own the Internet you have no right to privacy when ou use the Internet)

But can you compare a person getting on the net to a person going to Wal-Mart or the beach? The reason that I'm not so sure you can do that is b/c when you go to Wal Mart or the beach, you are physically present in your entirety at that location; people can also "identify specifics" about you--your hair, your clothes, your look, etc...you are physically present at that location. However, they might not know your social security number, drivers license number, what color your wallet is, who your girlfriend is (and how many total you've had your entire lifetime), your criminal history (if you have any), and personal information like that (ok, maybe the color of your wallet isn't something THAT personal; but you get the general idea about what I'm saying :D )

Now; when I get on the internet...sheesh! LORD KNOWS who I am; I can say I am someone I'm not. I could claim to be someone's cousin twice removed, I can claim to be a famous actor, I can claim to be in Colorado when I'm really from TN--but no one really know who I am. Sure, you could try triangulation, but that doesn't always work, especially if I got TOR and do a super bang up job of changing my habits.

...My point is that you can't really pull that kind of stuff off if you're physically present at a Florida Wal-Mart or beach (ie "Hi; I'm Tom and I'm in Colorado right now; you only THINK I'm in Florida!") People can identify you better in the real world--but they can't if you're on-line! That's the first point; the second point is, when it comes to internet privacy, do you really NOT have a problem with giving me your personal information?

Let's go a step further now; let's say I'm an on-line company and I gather information about my clients. Maybe you DON'T care if you're a woman and I, the third party vendor can tell what color bras you like to buy, what sizes of bra you purchase, what kind, color, and size of condoms you purchase on average, who your bf is, and the name of your father who goes to the Baptist Church just down Delaney Street in Boulder, Colorado? Oh; and did I also mention that I had a side contract with Facebook and Blogspot? Did you know that I also happen to know the name of your pet beverly hills chihuahua, the color of house you live in, the name of your bf, where he lives, what color of car he has, the fact that he has women he schmoozes behind your back and to top it all off--I ALSO know the name of this man's WIFE, his adorable three kids, and where the wife works at!

"But isn't that illegal?"

No my friend; it's information gathered for "research purposes". After all, I conduct studies on my clients once every three months and I have to know what their interests are if I'm going to effectively sell them merchandise.

:D

Well that is all true.
And it is very annoying that they can do that. After all if some one followed me around a store to see what I look at or buy I can do something about that