Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Playing .avi files from data-dvd

• Please log in to reply

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
As the title states, I've got a handfull of DVD's with avi's on them.
Whenever I try to play these files, after a minute or 2 into the video, the video freezes while the audio continues to play.

This happens in both Windows Media Player and Nero ShowTime. DivX player however, everything freeezes, including audio, which goes into a loop like a skipping compact disc.

I've tried numerous players to no avail. I don't know why the file's are freezing, but I know for a fact it isnt the files. Played off the harddrive, they work fine. Also should be noted that an AVI file played off a burnt CD works just fine.

Help is very much needed and appreciated.

Thank you, Vaillant.

Advertisements

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
How well do other DVD's that you have burned with your burner work? This sounds like a poor burn (multiple disc errors). Are you able to successfully copy an AVI file from the DVD to your hard drive? Also, what speed/brand of DVD burner do you have and what type/brand of blank DVD media are you using?

Cheers,
Tom

As the title states, I've got a handfull of DVD's with avi's on them.
Whenever I try to play these files, after a minute or 2 into the video, the video freezes while the audio continues to play.

This happens in both Windows Media Player and Nero ShowTime. DivX player however, everything freeezes, including audio, which goes into a loop like a skipping compact disc.
I've tried numerous players to no avail. I don't know why the file's are freezing, but I know for a fact it isnt the files. Played off the harddrive, they work fine. Also should be noted that an AVI file played off a burnt CD works just fine.

Help is very much needed and appreciated.

Thank you, Vaillant.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
All DVD's that I have burned AVI's on don't play correctly. And yes indeed, the files are intact, transferring them to the harddrive isn't a problem.

I have a Pioneer DVR-110D DVD burner, rated for 16 X reading and burning on standard DVD+/-R, 8X on DVD+/-RW, and 4X on Dual layered DVD-R

It's been rated one of the best drives on the market at the moment.

DVD's I'm using are TDK DVD-R, a spindle of 100 I bought at costco..

It's not the DVD quality, or the burn, because I also burned some of the AVI's on a Maxell DVD+RW, for temporary storage ( hdd getting full ), and it freezes in exactly the same way.

It isn't the drive either, because when I play it on my older drive, a CD+/-RW and DVD player, it still freezes in this manner.

I'm really at a loss, as you can understand, and that's why I have come here for help. Thanks.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Update.

I had an inspiration earlyer this morning, and it worked. I decided to shut down all non-essential processes, and see if it still froze, and indeed, it didnt.

Now it's just a matter of me finding out what program causes the freezing, but path looks clear from here on end.

Thanks for the read, I know you folks are a busy bunch. Keep up the good work.