Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help here..

• Please log in to reply

spitzz

spitzz

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey fellow members.

Im just in need of help and here's the question.

My mobo have only 2 DIMM ram slots. Currently i only has one 256Mb DDR-SDRAM and im planning to buy another 256 MB DDR-SDRAM (same size). Now is it possible to enable dual channel mode if i am to place them in both slots since i only have 2 dimm slots in my mobo.
Though i heard most dual channel works on 4 ram slots on a mobo.. Would it be possbile for a mobo which have 2ram slots too?
(place them on Dimm 0 and Dimm 1 for example)

:tazz: Thx if anyone can reply upon my help.

Edited by spitzz, 12 March 2006 - 02:11 AM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hey fellow members.

Im just in need of help and here's the question.

My mobo have only 2 DIMM ram slots. Currently i only has one 256Mb DDR-SDRAM and im planning to buy another 256 MB DDR-SDRAM (same size). Now is it possible to enable dual channel mode if i am to place them in both slots since i only have 2 dimm slots in my mobo.
Though i heard most dual channel works on 4 ram slots on a mobo.. Would it be possbile for a mobo which have 2ram slots too?
(place them on Dimm 0 and Dimm 1 for example)

:tazz: Thx if anyone can reply upon my help.

Sounds like your mobo doesnt have dual channel support. It wont even work anyway unless you have 2 of the same identical pair of memory sticks. If you only have 2 memory slots total it wont have dual channel support anyhow. :)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The easist way to see if you have dual channel capabilities is to download CPU-Z and run it. In the memory section it will say single or dual channel. Any motherboard that has the northbridge chipset that has dual channel built into it can run as dual channel no matter what the combination of memory slots is on the motherboard. Most dual channel MB's will have 4 slots for dual channel. If you see 3 slots and 2 of them are the same color you can run dual channel. Usually the middle channel will be a different color. To run dual channel you must have 2 stick of memory that are the same type and usually same make memory. If i see a deal where i can buy 2 sticks of memory cheaper than buying on of their paired sets of dual channel i will buy them. It is the same thing as buying a so called matched pair.

SRX660

spitzz

spitzz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hehe thx very much for both of you for answering my question.. =)