Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

networking 2 computers.

• Please log in to reply

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
Hi,
I hope I'll get lucky here, since I've posted in another forum, gone to 4 chatrooms including G2G chat, but only one replied with the link to networking and problem is not fixed yet.

We want to network just 2 home pcs. Desktop and laptop, desktop being the one with direct connection to ISP.
We've done about everything in setting it up, assigning IPs etc but it's not working, the desktop can ping to the laptop but laptop can't ping back.
Desktop has the 192.168.0.1 IP and laptop has 192.168.0.2
The ony device that connects the 2 pcs is the CAT5e crossover patch cable (cable is working okay).
Don't want to get any other device for now, but have to just use the crossover cable.

Any help or ideas would be great! thanks.

Emilita

Advertisements

nocal4fun

nocal4fun

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I would check out your firewall settings. Also are you using the same OS on both computers? Which ones?

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
Thanks for the reply.

The one with the firewall (desktop) doesn't seem to be the one with the problem, it's the laptop that can't ping to the desktop and it doesn't have any firewall just yet.
I might try turning the desktop firewall off to eliminate that as the culprit.

This is also a dialup connection.
This is both XP Home OS.

Edited by Emilita, 12 March 2006 - 04:13 AM.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there, when assigning IP's click on "Obtain an IP address automaticly" (both computers) also try disableing all firewalls including Laptop and Desktop (If they Have). When you have automatic IP addresses, you can check your new IP by going to "command prompt" and typing in "ipconfig". Then try piniging each other.

Let me know if you still have problems :tazz:

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 12 March 2006 - 04:29 AM.

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
Hi,
Yeah, that's what I did the very first time with the Network Wizard, I let it so it automatically obtain IPs and DNS but it didn't work, so they told me to manually assign the IPs myself and that's what I did after.

I can ping to the laptop which is 192.168.0.2 but laptop can't ping back.

what do you think I should do next? thanks.

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
Okay, after I turned ZA off on this pc I'm on, laptop is able to ping to this pc, but laptop still unable to established connection to this machine.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

The one with the firewall (desktop) doesn't seem to be the one with the problem, it's the laptop that can't ping to the desktop and it doesn't have any firewall just yet.

All I can think of now is the firewall, you say the desktop one has firewall. This is stoping the laptop from pining. So disable all firewalls.

so they told me to manually assign the IPs myself

Ye, ok assign your own IPs. Are you wanting to play games over the network or share data???? I know that sometimes when friends and myself try and set up LAN and we cant ping each other, we can still play over the LAN. When setting up the game set up the laptop to be server (since desktop can ping the laptop)

Cool, let me know... :tazz:

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
I don't think we can really play games even if we want to, this is a dialup connection and it will be very slow.
what we really need to do is for both computers to share internet connection, that's the main thing.

Can you please guide me to be able to have internet connection for both pcs please? thanks.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Oh, setting up a share internet connection on a network. Sorry for the late reply. Ok i havnt really setup a dail-up on a network. But maybe this will help:

ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\netcfg.chm::/Share_conn_overvw.htm

Copy that line and open "Internet Explorer" (Not Firefox or any other web broweser except Microsoft Web browser) and paste it into your address bar this is "Internet Connection Sharing overview" I am not to sure if this can assist you, but give it a try. I will do some more research on how to set up a dail-up share and I will get back to you.

Till then goodluck :tazz:

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
This is weird, I don't know what happened but laptop can't ping to desktop again!
I think it happens after I run the Network wizard again.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi,

If I had to take a wild stab, I'd say that it's a software issue; be it a firewall or anti-malware application interfering with your connection -- so, I'd recommend restarting both the Desktop and the Laptop into Safe Mode with Networking, and then try to ping between the two, and also share files, if you've set that up. Can you?

As per your question on how to setup ICS -- heh, ICS for Dial-up is going to result in a pretty slow connection, if you have both browsing at the same time :tazz: I'm sure you'll enjoy that.
How to set up Internet Connection Sharing (Windows XP Computers)
(*Note: The 'Host' computer is the system that will be connecting to the Internet; 'Client' refers to any computer that is sharing the Internet connection, and is connecting to the Host computer.)

First, ensure that your LAN is setup properly for ICS:
On the HOST PC, please do the following:
  • Open up My Network Connections.
  • In the side panel, select 'Set up a home or small office network'.
  • Click Next until you reach the screen that asks 'Select a connection method'.
  • Choose the option that states 'This computer connects directly to the Internet. The other computers on my network connect through this computer.
  • Press 'Next'.
  • Select your Internet connection from the list.
  • Continue to press 'Next' until the setup is complete.
On the CLIENT PC(s), please do the following:
  • Open up My Network Connections.
  • In the side panel, select 'Set up a home or small office network'.
  • Click Next until you reach the screen that asks 'Select a connection method'.
  • Choose the option that states 'This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network'.
  • Now continue to press 'Next', filling in the correct details as you go along. Make sure the workgroup stays as the default.
Your LAN should now be configured properly; it is now time to setup ICS.
On the HOST PC, please do the following:
  • Open the Network Connections window. Here, you should have at least two connections listed: one for your Internet Connection, and one for the Ethernet adapter connected to your Local Area Network (LAN).
  • Right-click the connection icon corresponding to your Internet connection and select Properties.
  • Choose the Advanced tab, and turn on the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" option. Click OK when you're done.
  • Verify that Internet Connection Sharing is enabled; it should say "Enabled, Shared" in the Network Connections Window.

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
Thank you for the most detailed instructions. Your instruction is a lot easier than the others I've seen. But I had already done those. I actually had run network wizard many times on both pcs.

Yes, Firewall is also part of the problem because it has to be turned off for laptop to be able to ping. But even if both pcs can ping each other laptop still can't establish a connection.
I really don't know what to do next.

Last night I stayed up till 3am, settings doesn't seem to stay put.
I ended up totally losing my connection with this pc(desktop) I could connect to my ISP but IE would never load any pages, I quickly saw in the status bar something like dns error couldn't resolved. It took me so long troubleshooting what happened, even run an lspfix.exe, ipconfig /flushdns but no joy.
What I ended up doing to return back to normal was System Restore. The last restore point was Saturday just before I downloaded windows updates, so those updates are all gone now.

I feel like giving up on this.
Thank you all for all your help I really appreciate it.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Well, after your little adventure last night, are we back to square one, not being able to share your Internet connection, not able to ping, etc? Have you tried setting up File Sharing?

What Firewall are you using? I've noticed that quite often, even when your firewall is "disabled", it's still operating at a base-level -- so, it could still be interfering with your attempts to interact. Did you try restarting into Safe Mode with Networking?

On both the Desktop and the Laptop, please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> Now type: nbtstat -c -- please copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.

Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> Now type: net view -- please copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.

Thanks,
Dan.

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
Hi,
I started both pcs in safe mode with networking, I couldn't see any other connection but the LAN one
When I came back to normal mode, IE couldn't download any page again, did another system restore.
Laptop still can't established connection.

Desktop:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : client-3y8usegb
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Home network:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-DC-3B-86-78
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c0a8:1:4:d0e1:11ae:5485:a864
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c0a8:1:4:210:dcff:fe3b:8678
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0::4:210:dcff:fe3b:8678%2
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::210:dcff:fe3b:8678%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

PPP adapter iPrimus Internet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 211.26.122.46
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 211.26.122.46
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.134.24.70

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-00-01
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.1%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>netstat -c

Displays protocol statistics and current TCP/IP network connections.

NETSTAT [-a] [-e] [-n] [-o] [-s] [-p proto] [-r] [interval]

-a Displays all connections and listening ports.
-e Displays Ethernet statistics. This may be combined with the -s
option.
-n Displays addresses and port numbers in numerical form.
-o Displays the owning process ID associated with each connection.
-p proto Shows connections for the protocol specified by proto; proto
may be any of: TCP, UDP, TCPv6, or UDPv6. If used with the -s
option to display per-protocol statistics, proto may be any of:
IP, IPv6, ICMP, ICMPv6, TCP, TCPv6, UDP, or UDPv6.
-r Displays the routing table.
-s Displays per-protocol statistics. By default, statistics are
shown for IP, IPv6, ICMP, ICMPv6, TCP, TCPv6, UDP, and UDPv6;
the -p option may be used to specify a subset of the default.
interval Redisplays selected statistics, pausing interval seconds
between each display. Press CTRL+C to stop redisplaying
statistics. If omitted, netstat will print the current
configuration information once.

LAPTOP:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Dan
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-F6-5D-0F
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c0a8:1:4:d0e1:11ae:5485:a864
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c0a8:1:4:210:dcff:fe3b:8678
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0::4:210:dcff:fe3b:8678%2
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::210:dcff:fe3b:8678%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
I cut it here, because it was getting too much to type...but if there is a line that you specifically want, then I'll try and type it all, sorry about that.

Netstat -C gave same info as the desktop.

Edited by Emilita, 13 March 2006 - 09:48 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Emilita,

You actually typed netstat -c :) Could you please try nbtstat -c -- don't worry; I get those two mixed up all the time :tazz:

Could you please also goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> Now type: net view -- please copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.

Thanks,
Dan.