Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

networking 2 computers.

• Please log in to reply

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
Hi Dan,
lol, I am terribly sorry, I jumped to conclusion that you misspelled it, my apology!

Here is the result: thanks again!

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>nbtstat -c

iPrimus Internet:
Node IpAddress: [211.26.126.6] Scope Id: []

No names in cache

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>net view
There are no entries in the list.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
No worries :tazz:

When you type net view into the Command Prompt, does it list the name of the laptop on your network?

I'm a little confused as to where we're at.

1) Can the laptop ping the Desktop?
2) Can the Desktop ping the laptop?
3) What happens when you got to Start --> Run and type \\ComputerName -- does it return an error, and if so, what error? ie: \\Dan
4) Do you have two Network Adapters installed on the Desktop; ie, one to connect to your modem, and one to connect your computer to the laptop? If so, have you assigned the appropriate Protocols to each NIC?

I'm a little concerned that your Internet access keeps on dying for some reason. I'd suggest running WinsockFix, just to make sure there isn't any corruption in your winsock stack.

- Dan

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
Dan,

Thank you so much for all your effort in trying to help me with the problem, it's still not resolved, but I can't continue in trying to make it work, I've stuffed up a few times and can't afford to really mess up this pc altogether. I've tried winsockfix as well. I'm not allowed to keep on trying because dialup they said would be really slow with networking and they think it's not worth it. We are waiting for when broadband is available in few weeks time.

When I did Start > Run > \\ComputerName
the network path was not found.

it's the same with \\Dan, error is The network path is not found.

typing net view at the command prompt says; "there are no entries in the list"

Right now, we are just sharing internet connection by taking turns plugging the desktop and laptop to the phone jack.
Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Emilita

Edited by Emilita, 21 March 2006 - 12:56 AM.