Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Restore On Laptop

• Please log in to reply

horlor44

horlor44

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have a 3gb ,512RAM Laptop Running( pre loaded by the store) XP Home .I have just removed SP2 as it was making the laptop run slow.This totally stopped the laptop working,as,when the Windows logo flashed up it went to POST and Re-Started and cycled forever.I could'nt use windows recovery consul as the dos promt would only let me type one letter!So, I had to install my XP upgrade disc version for my PC.All seems OK but now system restore don't work and I wanted it for safety...Message is.."Sytem restore is not able to protect your computer,please restart" which also does'nt work. Ive checked all the obvious stuff..I think, and reloaded windows components from XP disc. ( Q1) how do I restore the original Version of XP( PreLoaded) back on the Laptop and would this cure it?( Q2)Can I do this without losing all Progs and Data?..Any Help or Ideas Anyone..Thanks

Edited by horlor44, 12 March 2006 - 06:07 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click start then click my computer then hold the cursor over the hard drive to see what space is free, or right click the hard drive then click properties to check used / free space

horlor44

horlor44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
My Start menu does not contain "my computer" but ,when I Right click the HDD via the "My Comp" Icon ,it shows about 50% Full,I can also hold the curser over the drive to show capacity..Thanks

Edited by horlor44, 12 March 2006 - 07:41 AM.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there is your System Restore even turned on???

Check this:
http://service1.syma...src=sec_doc_nam

If not turn it on and try again. You will find instructions on how to turn it on in the above link.

If it is turned on, turn it off. Restart and then turn it back on.

Let us know if that worked. Cool :tazz:

horlor44

horlor44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yes, Its turned On,Ive also re-installed the System restore Via a link posted earlier by someone with a similar problem..but no luck.Ive got a feeling its something to do with Overlaying my PC XP version over the pre-Installed XP from the store,but I dont know how to rectify the problem without losing/re-installing all..Thanks

horlor44

horlor44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I think I'll find a more helpfull site,no luck here!! after posting posting problem twice

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I do understand your frustration, however, being impatient and posting things like this will likely only lead to you getting ignored, not getting help faster.

We are all volunteers here. You need to remember that. It also helps if you read around.

http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=95503

ScHwErV :tazz:

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Really really sorry for the late reply.

Try this:
=====
Search for sr.inf and when found, right click it and select "Install" You may be asked for the XP install cd. It should fix "sr.sys", if not extract "sr.sys" manually.

Let me know if this works... (Sorry again for the late reply) :tazz:

horlor44

horlor44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Well done, Fixed 1st time..Many thanks

horlor44

horlor44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
unfortunatley ,I had other probs with my laptop and had to restre before my sr.inf fix.....now iwill not work...copy error ect can you tell me how to nav to the restore on xp disc .search cant find it on disc..iut work once but now no!