Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer problems

• Please log in to reply

Briain

Briain

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, Ive been having problems with my computer for the last few weeks and everything is pointing towards a Windows Installer conflict/problem. I can't uninstall some software (iTunes), and I can't install any new software. This error comes up when trying to install software:

"1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime"

Then, when I open certain programs, a WindowsInstaller box pops up saying "Preparing to Install" and it freezes. I have to go to task manager and end the non-responsive program. This was even happening when I was looking at photos, searching for a "msscript.msi" file in Search.

I've been looking on the internet the whole time trying to fix this, and I've downloaded WindowsInstaller off microsoft.com, didn't work. Downloaded a few random files that I forget now that helped other people, still no luck.

Also, I can't do anything In MS-DOS, which I was trying to do to look for some file or something; this is what I get when I type 'command' into Run:

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MS Windows applications"

There are other things which escape my mind that aren't working on my computer, but as you can see there is a problem. Please please help me! There's only so many times I can smash my fist in frustration before it brakes!!

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use this for the autoexec error

http://www.visualtou...oads/xp_fix.exe

Briain

Briain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks a million, MS-DOS is now workable. Any ideas for the rest?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should and you can check for any improvement

Briain

Briain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've got a new one: "The systems administrator has set policies to prevent this installation"

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Installing Tune Up?

Briain

Briain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have the full version of Tune Up, where I'd get stuck with your instructions is that I have absolutely no idea where my XP CD is!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run sfc anyway, if it needs a file it will ask for the CD, press skip, if it asks for the CD more than a few times, press cancel, that tells you system files are missing or corrupt.

You can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD to run system file check, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Run through the rest, which does not need the CD, see how things are