Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU Power Supply Fan

• Please log in to reply

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi,

Is there a way of monitoring the rpms of the fan
If so, how fast should it be spinning
Thanks

Scott

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You can use Speedfan to monitor your fans.

If so, how fast should it be spinning

This really depends on the PC manufacture, motherboard used, fan manufacture... and current temp of whatever device the fan is being used on. Most fans run in the 1000's of rpms... depending on which fan it is.

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
thanks for replying

in the speedfan window on the readings tab
it says:
fan1: 0rpm
fan2: 2500rpm
is fan2 the power supply fan or the cpu fan?

scott

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Fan 2 is usually either the CPU fan or a case fan.

It's not usually possible to monitor the RPMs of the power supply fan, but as long as its actually spinning and pulling hot air out, I shouldn't worry. Anyway the electronics are more likely to go first.

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
ok
it just that when i boot up the power supply fan spins really fast making a loud sound. then it slows down and gets quieter but is also changing speed (sound)
i suppose this is normal

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Again... it depends on the manufacture. Did the PS do this from day one? You might contact the manufacture via email to query about it.

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
unfortunately the manufacture has gone bust
it was fine at the start but it seems to get worse
it seems really erratic and sometimes it takes ages to start
what happens if the fan suddenly stops?
if i do need to get a new fan, what would i be looking for (just need average fan but pretty quiet)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

what happens if the fan suddenly stops?

If the fan stops, the power supply will overheat and probably die. During that time, it could spike and also kill your system components. Not good! :tazz:

if i do need to get a new fan, what would i be looking for (just need average fan but pretty quiet)

I've never replaced a fan in a PS, I just go out and buy a new PS. I really can't recommend a fan because manufactures use different sizes and the fans may be spec'd differntly. I wouldn't know what to suggest you get. Some fans are also hard-wired internally, (soldered to the PS motherboard) so you would also have to own a soldering iron if you were to go in to change it.

Power supplies are a very important component in the system. If you buy cheap, then you can't expect them to perform for very long. The only thing I can recommend is you take a look at your system requirements then check Newegg.com and replace the entire PS so you don't have to worry about it. Newegg buyers leave a lot of good/bad feedback for the products they buy (myself included!). You should be able to get a good feel for which power supplies are popular and have good ratings. There are a ton of power supplies on Newegg... with varying price ranges... I'm sure you'll be able to find something suitable.

WARNING>>> If you own an OEM computer... ie, Dell... you may have to call the manufacture for a replacement PS. Manufactures like Dell use proprietory power supplies. The pin configurations are not the same and replacing a PS in a Dell with something off-the-self may kill your computer.

Edited by makai, 13 March 2006 - 11:13 AM.

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
cheers
i meant the whole power supply unit anyway, my mistake
i'll definetly get one soon, don't want to ruin my comp.
thanks for your help
scott

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You're welcome! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Take care :tazz: