Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fresh XP install problems

• Please log in to reply

dlw

dlw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Did not touch the bios.
I've changed nothing since putting the original keyboard back.

Is there a Wxp boot floppy?
Could W98's boot floopy work?

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
No XP does not use floppy, to boot from disk, you need the original Windows XP Installation Disk.

When XP Disk inside, restart computer, while doing memory check, press "del" or "F2" (depending on model) to open BIOS settings then find something to do with boot options. You should see something saying "IDE-0" or something like that change that to "CD-ROM" then just before windows boot screen. It will say "Press any key to continue..." press and windows installation will start up. Follow the steps until you get tothe screen where it asks you if you want to do recovery. Select Recovery.

A new screen will come up asking you to select the drive you would like to work on. I think Defualt is "[1]C:\Windows" it will then ask you for a admin password. If your admin password is nothing just press enter otherwise enter it.

Once you have done that it will come up almost as if you are in command prompt. Type in "Chkdsk C: /f" one that one has done type in "chkdsk C: /r" then restart your computer. Let me know if anything happends.

But before you do all this, can you still access windows????

dlw

dlw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Yes, I can still access windows.

I tried to use the Wxp CD. No good. Couldn't boot to it.
The Wxp is the original. It is legal with holograms, license, everything.

I also tried to boot with a W98 boot floppy. No go.
It acts as if it does boot but nothing shows on the monitor.

I'm going to try a different graphics card.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

I'm going to try a different graphics card.

Ok before you do that goto command prompt and type in "chkdsk C: /r" and the "chkdsk C: /f" after the other (both will ask to be re-schedualed next time you start windows, say yes and restart)

If that doesnt work try out a diffrent graphics card.

dlw

dlw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Okay, problem solved.

Replaced graphics card and all apears all right.
The different graphics card has a second plug in for a second monitor.

Someone know how to get the second monitor to run different programs?

Thanks for the help!!!

dlw