Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

FIREFOX DOWNLOADED BUT CAN'T KEEP IT OPERATING

• Please log in to reply

LynnTM

LynnTM

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've actually downloaded the FIREFOX browser 3 times. The first 2 times I couldn't get it to open. I had lowered my security in order to finally get it downloaded and opened on the 3rd try. I was even able to read the tutorial but that was as far as I got. I am wondering - can Internet Explorer interfer with me using a different browser such as FIREFOX? Eventually, I gave up, totally removed FIREFOX from my computer and went back to Internet Explorer. Recently, I downloaded the Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack with Outlook Express (and even Outlook Express won't open for me. I will address OE in a separate new topic).

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hi there LynnTM, Internet Eplorer should NOT affect Firefox. When you say lower security settings, do you have Zone Alarm, that security may be affecting OE and Firefox. What is the program called? (security program)

And when you downloaded Firefox, I hope you downloaded it from the root site:
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

If not you may have got a fualty installation.

Let me know.... :tazz:

LynnTM

LynnTM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
1. Yes, I downloaded FireFox from their web site.
2. What is Zone Alarm & 3. Yes, you are dealing with a relative novice.
But relative is a relative term!!! Lynn

LynnTM

LynnTM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
1. Yes, I downloaded FireFox from their web site.
2. What is Zone Alarm & 3. Yes, you are dealing with a relative novice.
But relative is a relative term!!! Lynn

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Ok, so you dont have Zone Alarm (I just asked because that could affect a few programs trying to access the net if you have restricted them) Ok so then do you know what security programs are running??? What Firewall or any other security programs??? eg. Anti-Virus, ect.

Edit: Zone Alarm is a Firewall

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 12 March 2006 - 08:55 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Lets take a look at what you have installed on your computer. Please download HiJackThis (from the link in my signature) Install it, and double-click on the HiJackThis.exe icon. On the first screen click on Open the Misc Tools Section. On the next screen, click on the Open Uninstall Manager button and click on the Save List button and save it somewhere you will remember the location. Then find the file and open it and paste a copy of the Uninstall List created here.

Doing this will give us a better idea of what is installed on your system and what could possible be causing firefox not to run properly.

Fenor