Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please help, I don't see the server.

• Please log in to reply

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Last night me and my friends got together for some LAN gaming. First we tried to play Battlefield 2 with a LAN with me hosting the server, but my server didn't show up on their computers at all. I turned off my firewall, tried again, still nothing. I couldn't even see someone else's server when they hosted. Then we tried UT2004, and the same problem, no server showing up on my computer at all. So I tried various things to get it to work:

Here is what I tried:
-turned off firewall
-made sure windows firewall was off
-made sure I was connected to the lan which I was
-changed network cables to make sure it wasn't that
-reinstalled battlefield 2

all of that and still nothing. The entire night I could not get the server to show up on my computer at all. Now I'd really like to get this fixed before our next gaming night so if someone could please help me it would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
I take it that this is not your first time having a LAN. Check if your Local Area Connection is enabled.
Also try installing your network drivers again.
Make sure network card is in proply (When moving your computer for the LAN the network card may have been nudged out of place)

friends

So there are more of you, was it just you having the problem. I assume you using a hub, try insterting your network cable into a diffrent port on the hub.

Cool, let me know if these work :tazz:

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
oh I guess my memory is failing me. I forgot to mention a few things I tried, because I did make sure my local area connection was enabled, I even repaired it, and I must have tried three different ports on the hub. And yes it was only me having the problem. I have a laptop so I can't really check my network card. Here's the kicker, one of my friends even has the same laptop as me and he has no problems. Course his is newer. But anyway. I guess I could try reinstalling my drivers, but I won't be able to test it until our next get together, so are there any other options you could give me in case that doesn't work?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Ok try out re-installing the drivers, also try getting up-to-date drivers. (You can google it) All else I can think of is any other programs you are using for security any other firewalls or anti-virus. And your network settings make sure the protocalls are correct. Try a diffrent IP address. Can you see the computer out side the games??? Try a ping, if you can ping the other computers it may be settings inside the game itself.

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
ok, how do I make sure the protocalls are correct, and how do I ping the other computer.
Oh, would having a dynamic IP address be causing it too?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

make sure the protocalls

What i mean by this is making sure you IP isnt out of range or anything. But windows should be able to tell you that it cannot work (eg. if you put in 999)

how do I ping

To ping another computer you will goto command prompt (>Start >Run then type in "cmd") when command prompt has been opened you type in "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP you want to ping)

to know what your friends IP is you can go to command prompt and type in "IPCONFIG"

having a dynamic IP address be causing

No, try changing you IP to something else and also try setting it to "Obtain IP address automaticly"

When you are connected, does the icon show you are connected or un-connected (The network icon in your task bar, righ-bottom corner???)

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
well, about the task bar, I've been recently having a problem with that as well. Not all the taskbar icons show up. So at the time I couldn't see the icon at the bottom saying I was connected. I also don't get any bubble popups for some reason.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Try setting the server up as a Dedicated Lan server where it minimizes the console to the desktop.

Still no luck it sounds like a router problem or workgroup problem. Just to make shure check and see if all of the computers are on the same workgroup name and restart your pc's.

Another way to see if you are hooked up by lan correctly is make a shared folder on one of the pc's and see if you can look into it with the other pc.

If you still have problems its a setting in the router of some kind. (as I dont know because I would have to be there and look at it myself.)

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
ok, well thank you, you've given me several options to try. I'll have to wait and see if they work at our next get together, and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks a lot.