Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network Ping Spikes

• Please log in to reply

ol1v3r

ol1v3r

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
This worked a charm on my XP box! Cheers :whistling:

Advertisements

Umdengineer

Umdengineer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for this thread. I was having a similar problem with periodic lag spikes. Stopped the WZC and I haven't seen the issue crop up yet (cross my fingers). I'm using the WIFI that came with my Asus P5B DLX motherboard.

ghowthoo

ghowthoo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all!

Thank you for this awesome thread. I was having the same problem (well to a lesser degree) and searched the net for a solution. I tried so many things but none of them worked until I came across this thread. My lag spikes would be 1-2 seconds every now and then in the online FPS games I play.

The solution you guys provided worked like a charm, but I was wondering if there has been a better solution over the past year? I noticed this thread is an old one. I hope you guys are still around that answered. =) If not anybody else would be apprecitated!

I made the batch file that Dan G suggested and it does what its suppose to do but when I restart, Wireless Zero Configuration doesnt start back up again... it stays "Stopped"... I am guessing from all the microsoft updates over the year since this thread was created.. it changed a bit?

WZC is set on Automatic... so whenever I run the batch file it stops it but it doesnt restart it after I reboot... forcing me to remind myself to run the START batch everytime I turn off my PC. :whistling:

I could live with doing it all the time but was wondering if there has been a better solution. Thanks for the help!

GLACIOU5

GLACIOU5

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem.
I have a D-Link DWL-G510 wireless desktop card.
It comes with Airplus G Uitility which bypasses windows Wireless Zero Configuration, so you put all your settings in the utility (i.e. ssid and static IP Address etc.) and than Disable the Wireless Zero Configuration service.

This fixes the lag spikes in windows XP as it doesn't go searching for wireless connections every 30 seconds.

I installed Vista, all ok except the Dlink Utility isn't compatible with Vista, even running in compatibility mode.

Is there any 3rd party Connection managers that work with Vista ?

ghowthoo

ghowthoo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I would love to use the utility that the wireless cards came with but none of the brands that I owned (Linksys and Netgear (Linksys Utility is better coded IMO)) seemed to work with my router from Verizon FiOS (ActionTec MI424-WR)... perhaps because the network works in a weird way (I dont see any DNS servers, my DNS server is the router itself... I remeber I had cable before and I use to get a few DNS IPs with my routers being a 4-port netgear router)...

anyway I find that creating two desktop icons for WZC start and WZC stop works fine... I do it every now and then when I need it off and whatnot... I guess in the meantime we'll have to hassle with this... haha... I would assume they fixed the WZC thing in Windows Vista by now... only tell will tell I guess.

CowboyDan

CowboyDan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ppwok said "To show my appreciation I have written a little script to do the job for you - it enables WZC for 30 seconds then turns it off again, so if you pop it in your startup you shouldn't have to worry about it ever again!

(you will have to rename it .vbs instead of .txt so it works!!)"

i know i'm a noob, but how do i add this to my startup? i'm having the same problem.

Edited by CowboyDan, 14 August 2007 - 09:06 AM.

schooba

schooba

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I made a post here about how the latest Ralink drivers (RT61) anyway contain a 3rd party network application for Vista which fixed the problem for me! Just thought I'd say as I'm sure there are still some people looking for a solution :)

almerricksurf6

almerricksurf6

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been searching this answer for quite awhile something finally worked thank you so much!!!

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Please help - I have the 60 second lag spike problem. I use windows vista 64 bit Business. I have a WRT54GL

I do not get any error code - the error I get when trying to install any of the Ralink Drivers is this :

Windows was unable to install your network controller

Windows could not find driver software for your device

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.

The Ralink Wire Lan Card Utility/Status is just a big black X... the Ralink utility/status ONLY works when I install the Linksys driver from my cd that came with my Linksys adapter. That is the only driver I can get it to recognize and thus the only driver I can access the internet with, for this adapter at least.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I fixed it!!! Not exactly sure how - but the important thing is that it is fixed :}. My little brother has been gaming for hours without a lag spike!

I did several things - I'm not sure what fixed it - here is what I did :

1. Installed 3rd party firmware on my router (Tomato).
2. Enabled Frame Burst and AutoBurner in the Tomato settings.
3. Replaced my Linksys adapter with a SpeedBooster adapter (same adapter, just with speedbooster).

That's it. No Ralink drivers, no anti-lag software, or anything, just used the drivers from the linksys CD. I don't know what it was, it says on the box speedboster only works with XP and 2000.. but I heard people saying they utilized their non-speedbooster router to work with their speedbooster adapter via 3rd party firmware. Maybe that's what I did (I know afterburner enables speedbooster). But I don't see how that would fix it anyway.. whatever, who cares! I'm getting excellent/very good signal with great latency!

Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

KA24DERACER

KA24DERACER

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OMG guys I am almost 100% positive I have solved this problem for XP users!!! I even created an account here JUST to share this with you all. PLEASE post this anywhere you can if it works for you to help everyone else out there with this problem. First you just have WZC running as normal and connected to your network, and just to make sure (I didnt have any others so if you do I dont know if this will work) go into the "wireless networks" tab of your wireless connection properties and make sure your network is the only one on the list. So now just uncheck the "Use Windows to configure my wireless settings" box, and you can now even go into msconfig and disable the WZC, and VIOLA!!!! I restarted and am still connected to my network, and I played a couple of rounds of my favorite games with not ONE 60 second lag interval.

Please share this with everyone you can if it works for you. I have been battling between the 60 second lag spike of WZC and the memory drain of the Linksys network monitor for longer than I care to remember, and finally, it seems I have won. I will post an update after a couple of days/weeks just to make for sure that everything is as it should be, but so far NO PROBLEMS!!!!!

Hope I have been able to help some of you and happy hunting :)

atrk

atrk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
alright i tried everything dan has posted and still seem nothing have changed. this problem started about 3 days ago. Everything was fine then i would play cs1.6 and would get an occasional lag for a sec with the "warning cl_flushentitypacket" on top right hand corner then would be fine after a second lag. now it keeps my ping at above 900+ and stays there with me lagging all over.

ive done all the rates my friends uses to improve their latency
i did the wzc thing dan mentioned above and still lagging.
i check spyware and everything
my computer consists of only cs and this is way a pain.
I use a wireless connection via fios and everything is fine til 3 days ago i dont know what happened now i cant play at all due to immense lag spike that stays like that. please help ive tried everything i know and troubleshooted with every little bits i have of my knowledge.
i could put up with the lag before as it was every 10 mins or so with a second lag now it stays what do i do now..please help me on this i am in dire need of help as i am about to burn this [bleep] up.

atrk

atrk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i use dynex wireless enhanced g as my wifi to connect to my router what do i do. Im using a third party software from dynex that came with it so i dont use windows at all to connect to the internet so the whole wcz really doesnt bug me unless i dont know of something otherwise. please help i keep getting lag spikes and stays lagged as i mentioned above in cs1.6.what do i need to do

njk

njk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone. I was also having the ping spike every minute or so untill I followed the instructions left by Dan and disabled the Wireless Zero Configuation. But now I get disconnected after about 30 minutes and have to restart the computer in order to get the connection back.

Does anyone know of a way to prevent this from happening?

Thanks.

Stamatis

Stamatis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I love you Dan.
This post made me dance around the room. This problem has been driving me NUTS! Now there will be no "pause" to the pwnage I shall wreak upon others!