Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB not detecting

• Please log in to reply

Shakes515

Shakes515

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
While running on Windows98SE

The other day I installed a sound card...Creative SB live...and disabled my old sound card in the BIOS.Shortly after turning my computer back on, I tried to upload pictures from my media card in the reader on my printer and it did not detect the card.I then tried to print a few letters just to test the printer and it said there was no connection. Suddenly my computer was not recognizing my printer anymore. I also noticed that my cd burner was not being recognized. I asked some people on the GeeksToGo chat about this and they directed me to the IRQ conflicts section in my computer and we found that I had conflicting IRQ with the sound card and usb. They were unable to direct me on what else to do so I removed the card and re-enabled my old sound card, thinking that my usb would be up and running again.
My CD burner went back to normal and was detected again, as was my modem usb (My modem is also connected by ethernet...so whether the usb was recognized or not did not effect me.) However, my printer was still not being picked up. I have tried different cords, ports, re-installing drivers, and everything in between, but I just can't get my computer to detect my printer. While my printer will not connect, the usb cord to my modem are detected fine as is the usb cord to my external cd burner. lookaround.gif

While running on WindowsXP Pro
Last night I did a clean install of WindowsXP Pro. WindowsXP has detected both my cd burner and my modem usb just as my computer had before but it still will not recognize my printer. I have tried all the things as before and putting the printer into the same port as my modem to see if it was just the port, but it still doesn't work. When I put the usb cord from my printer into the computer, either nothing happens or it says there was a malfunction and it cant recognize it.
Because I cannot use my media card reader on my printer at the moment, I decided to try and use the usb cord directly connected to my camera to upload pictures. I installed the software and followed the directions but the usb directly connected to my camera is also being rejected. I have tried different ports and plugging in and out and I am having no luck , just like my printer.

All of this is very confusing because it is inconsistent and the usb seems to be only be detecting my cd burner and modem but not my printer or the cord to my digital camera.

Does anyone have any idea what my problem might be and if so, what can i do???

PLEASE HELP!!!

-Haley :tazz:

Edited by Shakes515, 12 March 2006 - 06:54 PM.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Shakes515, I have noticed that you have posted twice about the same thing. The forums are very busy and around the world it is diffrent times (some may be sleeping) So please be patient and someone will see to it that your problem is fixed.

Cool :tazz:

Shakes515

Shakes515

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry I wasn't being impatient. I just realized my problem might fit better under the category of the 2nd one and I don't know how to MOVE it so I just put it again. Sorry.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there again Shakes515, no problem. Next time you want something moved just PM a moderator or Admin. They will help you out moving your topic if they think it is a valid reason . cool :tazz:

Shakes515

Shakes515

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
okay thanks. i'm worried my problem won't make any sense. it seems so odd like there is no real explanation for it and im scared the only solution is going to be something drastic. :tazz:

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

scared the only solution is going to be something drastic.

Dont worry, everthing that can be damaged can be repaired. And if I know anything, then there is only 1 thing i know WELL, very WELL is that GTG will not let you down they will fix your computer with out having to do anything drastic. All it is from now is patients and everything should go smotthly, GTG supplies you with easy to understand fixes. So sit back relax and wait for a user to help you out.

Cool :tazz:

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
HI Shakes515
It seem very weird. you already had a clean install so I assume your machine is perfectly clean.never heard of this problem.
Few more thing, does the "may be dead" port regconize your usb modem? does the computer regconize the printer/camera when it is conected to the computer all by it self without the CD or the modem?
at this moment I can't explain it. one more thing I can think of right now is go to your bios, and try two steps( If you not comfortable with cahnging bios, write every setting down before make any changes) :
- RE-ENTER yes Isay re-enter all the setting to what ever they are setting at right now and choose the "save change" to get out and reboot the machine. check see if the problem is fixed.
-If not, back to bios and load the bios to default oftion and again save change to get out. Hope we will get some where with this move.
But If you can afford a $15 usb hub to plug it to the working port and run your printer and all the extra off it, that may help. I think I will spend some time for this problem .

Shakes515

Shakes515

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
To me it seems that there are no "may be dead" ports because my modem and burner are detected in all of the ports i have tried them is. However, my printer and camera are not detected(or recognized). I am going right now to try to BIOS. Will reply again.

Shakes515

Shakes515

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i set the bios back to default and saved and its still not recognizing the printer. it keeps popping up telling me
"usb device not recognized"

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
so it see the devices but doesn't know what it is?

Advertisements

Shakes515

Shakes515

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes. Usually when I first turn on the computer it keeps popping up telling me "USB Device Not Recognized" Etc....Eventually it stops reminding me and stops popping up. But usually when I first turn on the computer it tells me.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
One thing just pop up in my mind. Your printer and camera must be older devices. If so it could just as simple as incompatible drivers. Can you go to there web site and look for XP drivers, have them install then try it again. It sound like just the computer doesn't know what your two devices talking about when they try to comunicate.

Shakes515

Shakes515

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well I found the driver on Lexmarks website and downloaded it and it is the same and does not recognize. My printer is not so old so it should be compatible. My camera isn't either. Also, remember that the usb stopped functioning before I upgraded to Windows XP. They stopped working after the conflicting IRQ happened. I took out the sound card that was conflicting but the problems with my usb still exist.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
SOME BODY ELSE PLEASE???
I have never seen some thing like this. Can think of any thing else at moment.
1-She use this devices, cables before so it not cable or plug
2-Clean install I assume it would be good.
3-Bios resetted and the port works for every thing else.
4-We can narrow down it is 95% devices fault but how? Can Windows damage the devices? unless she ran firmware update by accident but this doesn't sound like it. All the swapping parts around sound like she know what she doing before go ahead ask.
Thanks.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
I must think it is problem with printer it self. Does your printe have the old style port? If it does than let try to use that port. By right the computer should take it if it in good working order. I feel bad since that all I can think of. Hope some one else can help you out. The reason for me to stay on this site is people. Please let us know if you ever find out what the problem is.

Edited by mcpscomp, 17 March 2006 - 12:01 AM.