Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost query

• Please log in to reply

mr_angry

mr_angry

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Guys

I'm running XP Home & recently switched from dial-up to connecting thru a Voyager ADSL router.
Also running ZoneAlarm/AVG/PestPatrol
I'm now getting the following requests (shown in Zone Alarm) every time I connect, that svchost wishes to connect to:

169.254.22.33 (port number varies)
and
192.168.1.2 (port number varies)

IP lookup shows Internet Assigned Numbers Authority

Have checked out the IANA.org web site, and they have a load of info on this lookup result... and more

As far as I can tell, these IPs are something to do with the router, or the BT network. (BT is my ISP)

So far I've just denied access, and everything still seems to work, but any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
MrAngry

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geekstogo,
svchost seems to be a part of microsoft and for additional information on it you can view the following URL. I think it ought to be safe to allow acccess.
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=314056
thanx
James

P.S. are you running microsofts firewall?

mr_angry

mr_angry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks James,

NO. MS Firewall is turned off.

It appears that these IP addresses above are reserved for private networks and router comms, so I guess it would be OK to allow them.

What I don't understand is why they are cropping up if everything works OK when they are denied access.

Also a concern is that not ALL occurencies of svchost are genuine... several viruses use a svchost camoflage.

Any comments ???

Mr.Angry

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i think it'll take a little research on your part, use google it should give you all the awnsers you need for this type of thing but if you still need help after that come to me and i should be able to help you. However if you are suspecting that this might be a corrupt version of svchost trying to get in i would suggest you check into the malware forum to get the OK then you'll know for sure, if it really is a back door trojan or something trying to get into your computer.
Thanx
James

mr_angry

mr_angry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanx again.

I'll check out the malware forum, just in case...

Mr.Angry