Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High Pitched Whistling

• Please log in to reply

savataged

savataged

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,
I just bought a Intel Celeron D 351 3.20 chip and a intel D101GGC motherboard. There is a high pitched whistling coming frm the computer. The cpu temp is 45 C, cpu fan seems to be secured correctly. not an airflow problem. The whistling seems to change frequency and intensity when using the scroll wheel on the mouse, or resizing windows. Sound LESSENS pretty much anytime the cpu usage spikes. Could be PSU problem? I doubt that one tho.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Bad capacitors will sometimes whistle. I would pull the side cover off and see if you can determine if the sound is coming from the power supply or the motherboard. If coming from the motherboard I would use a good light and look every capacitor over very carefully. Your looking for one that is bulging or bowed outwards.

Here's a link to a similar problem. In this case it was a bad capacitor in the power supply:

http://www.techspot....-whistling.html

Edited by macten, 12 March 2006 - 10:56 PM.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Try to pull your speaker out first. some time at a certain frequency your ears will have a hard time to determen where the noice come from. And Personally I see many time this happen already with the cheaper and older speakers.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It could be a power supply problem or many other parts as mentioned. Inductors (coils and chokes) can make noise under certain conditions, as well as other parts.

One thing that you could try is to use a tube to locate where the noise is coming from. A stethoscope without the end piece basically would well and you might be able to get something like that at an auto parts store. Another option is to try to replace things until you find out what it is, but that can cause additional problems (anytime you take things apart the connectors can get damaged).

The first thing I would look at would be the power supply since that is easier and cheaper to deal with, but it could be any part on the motherboard which deals with frequencies.

savataged

savataged

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the help,
I determined that it idoes not seem to be coming from the power supply; seems to be coming from the area around the cpu/fan. Did not see any defects with any of the parts on the motherboard. Took the CPU Fan off, did not see any defects in that area either, but I'll take it off again and keep looking. For some odd reason, the sound did lessen on its own, but its still there and still very noticable. Any suggestions? Motherboard, Ram, Case, CPU are still under warantee (just bought those parts last week). Think I should send anything back for replacement, or not yet?
Thanks again,
David

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it could be a bearing going bad on the fan...do you have another fan of the same size that you can test with? if not...they're like 6 bucks at a local computer shop....worth the piece of mind to be able to not have a screaching machine

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If it is coming from the CPU area, you could try pushing down on it or re-seating it. If you disconnect the fan and the noise stops, then would be the problem (don't disconnect it for long).

savataged

savataged

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,
Unplugged the fan quickly, waited for it to stop. Sound still there tho. So i suppose its not the fan :tazz:
Thanks
David.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Carefully press down on the CPU and other parts around there and see if the sound changes.

Also realize that sound carries in strange ways at times, so it can be hard to tell where it is really coming from, which is why I suggested using a tube in order to track it down.

savataged

savataged

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey,

Kemasa -- tried to push down gently, no dice. Also, the tube idea worked great -- thats what made me think its the area around the cpu.
But....The PCI slot stopped working also, So I'm sending the motherboard back and getting a replacement. So we'll find out if its the motherboard whistling, after all.
Thanks, everyone, for your help. It's greatly appreciated.
David.

pomp

pomp

the man

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Thanks tech staff and moderators :tazz:. Savataged is my friend and I told him he should post his question on here :)!