Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Windows is starting up' really slow...

• Please log in to reply

Donarudo

Donarudo

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
When I get to the logon screen and windows says "Windows is starting up" it takes 2-3 minutes before my username appears and I can log in. I tried repairing Windows once and it solved the problem but I have the same problem again (approx. 3 months later) and I really don't feel like repairing windows with the xp cd everytime this happens. Any help or suggestions would be appreciate. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Donarudo

Donarudo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
[bleep] you guys work fast... lol. But I did the disk clean up and Defragementation two nights ago and it obviously didn't work, so I'll try the other stuff. I'll post the results... thanks!

Donarudo

Donarudo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

None of that stuff worked. Did everything step by step but it seems like it's taking even longer now... maybe it's just me though... but it's still taking a very long time to finish loading my personal settings or w/e it's doing.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run tune up start up manager to remove the ticks from programmes you do not need to run at start up, then reboot

It's a first if it is slower because of Tune Up

Donarudo

Donarudo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Did it.... no dice. Any other suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

If no change

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, type Y then press enter and as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Donarudo

Donarudo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
"Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop." yeah Imma have to do that part later tonight. Thanks for all the help though and speedy replies. I'll post back tomorrow.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

Donarudo

Donarudo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Looks like I'm gonna go on ahead with the OS repair... as I suspected. Thinks for all the help anyways... maybe I can avoid this happening again after I repair Windows for the third time. :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did check disc not run?

Donarudo

Donarudo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
It ran and took approx. an hour as you predicted, but I wasn't here to see it complete. But when I returned I found my computer at the logon screen so I rebooted and same I was gettin' the same s*** :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have repaired it and it runs for a bit then goes belly up again, have you considered backing up the data and using boot and nuke to comprehensively wipe the drive and then doing a clean install

I had a PC which blue screened whenever it liked, re-installs never did anything, wiped the drive and it has not blue screened since

Donarudo

Donarudo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Whats the easiest way going about backing my stuff up? cuz I have a whole lot of files to back up... and I really don't feel like burning all my stuff to a DVD or buying an external HDD.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Burning to DVD would be fine, maybe do it as an ongoing project, back up files when you feel like it, when you have them all, you can clear the drive

Against the time involved with a repair and the download of all the updates, you could probably back up quite a bit, most of it only needs to go as data, and you don't need to back up any programmes you have the software for, or for programmes you can download