Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rookie Question about vid cards

• Please log in to reply

crawlins

crawlins

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Im trying to learn more about many aspects of my computer and I am currently building a new one. Im not sure what the difference is between these 7900gt vid cards are. This may be a newb question, but please help me out. I see they are different brands...does it make a difference?

7900gt's

Thanks

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Im trying to learn more about many aspects of my computer and I am currently building a new one. Im not sure what the difference is between these 7900gt vid cards are. This may be a newb question, but please help me out. I see they are different brands...does it make a difference?

7900gt's

Thanks

If they are all from different sites the price differences can be huge. Some sites will charge way too much for a video card while good reputable companies will charge good prices.

If the video cards were all on the same site the difference in price is determined by the core clock speed and the memory clock speed on the video card if they are the same exact series for example.

Another thing that determines the price difference can be the brand name like evga,bfg,xfx,pny,msi, etc.. and the main reason some cost more is because they come more overclocked than the other would. :tazz:

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
XFX is my fav for nVidia, they often include Far Cry in the pack and T-Shirts, game controller and heaps of cool stuff, they also OC the gfx card for free. Sapphire is my fav for ATI, they have good bundles and are good priced. ATI don't really come pre-OCed and have very few games, GeCube has none i think. that's a thing, ATI doesn't have a good bundle, if there is a company that offers good games with ATI let me know please.

7900 aren't good, for that money get the X1900XT which is cheaper but has a higher clock and mem speed and 34 more pixelpipelines

crawlins

crawlins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

XFX is my fav for nVidia, they often include Far Cry in the pack and T-Shirts, game controller and heaps of cool stuff, they also OC the gfx card for free. Sapphire is my fav for ATI, they have good bundles and are good priced. ATI don't really come pre-OCed and have very few games, GeCube has none i think. that's a thing, ATI doesn't have a good bundle, if there is a company that offers good games with ATI let me know please.

7900 aren't good, for that money get the X1900XT which is cheaper but has a higher clock and mem speed and 34 more pixelpipelines

How is the X1900XT cheaper? I see the 7900GT for $300 and the X1900XT for around $500. Am I reading this wrong?

Oh, and thanks for the help :tazz:

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
ah, soz thought you meant 7900GTX, in that case get the X1800XT, better money spent. or the X1800XL.

crawlins

crawlins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok..thanks again for the help :tazz:

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
no probs. you may want to wait until the DX10 and Shader 4 come out first for safety

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
That 7900gt is actually a good card for the money range. I would buy it myself. The $299 one by evga when they get them back in stock is perfect.

There is one ati x1800xt for $299 then the rest jump up in price abit to $350 for the 256mb versions. For 512Mb versions it jumps up from there again to around $430 to $510.

You best bet would be to get a 7900gt or a x1800xt. They have one of each for $299 at newegg.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
one very strange thing is X1800XTs have been here in NZ for over 6 months but there still is no sign of the 256Mb X1800XT, where has it gone?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There wasnt a huge number of them to start with and NZ seems to ge a raw deal for everything PC wise.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
haha, ah, poor NZ, ah well, i guess i'll just wait for the next gfx cards, any news on what they might be?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Plenty just nothing firm, there was alot of leakage of spoecs round about xbox360 time as ATI developed that core partially using technology developed for this new generation, unified pipeline architecture and DX10 are the big things including GDDR4.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
ya, heard about the specs, it's got specs inline with a X1800XT in speeds and 48 unified pipelines