Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Network Problem

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I manage my network myself, and I have a moderate knowledge of the network and the file sharing itself.

However, recently I have created myself a Media Center, running Windows XP Media Center Edition. My initial plan was to stream the needed/wanted files from my main computer, of which has all of the files on it to the media center. Firstly, I have set up a new network using the "Network Setup Wizard" on both computers, putting them both on the same workgroup "MEDIA". I set this up the same on both computers as they both have the same configuration, with the exception that the Media Center has a wireless connection to my router, rather than the 1GB Hard lan I am using on my Computer.

After setting all of this up, I am able to see my Media Center's files from my Main PC, but my Media Center fails to see my Main PCs files. I checked on my computer, and modified my windows firewall to allow incoming connections from my LAN in the firewall exceptions, still no luck.

I don't think its neccessary, but to save time, and extended questions, here are the specifications of both computers:

"Main PC"

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
ATi Radeon 9800XT /w 256MB DDR
1GB Corsair Dual Channel Matched 512MB DDR400 Sticks + 512MB Crucial DDR400
120GB Western Digital HDD x 2
D-Link DGE-528T 1GB Ethernet

"Media Center"

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
nVidia GeForce FX5200
512MB DDR333 "ebuyer value ram" (2 x 256MB)
1 x 40GB Maxtor HDD
D-Link DWL-520+ (11/22MB WLAN).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ~ Thanks in advance! :tazz: :) :) :) :) :)