Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power surge on HUB port

• Please log in to reply

sean sean

sean sean

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all. I'm trying to connect the Motorola Razr cell phone to my laptop via a USB data cable and it keeps giving me this error and it will not detect my cell phone even though I have installed the driver files. I would appreciate your help on how to bypass this. Thank you.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 – sean sean – [USB Power Surge on HUB Port]
14th March 2006

Hi –sean sean – Welcome to - [Geeks to Go] – Sorry for the delay -

Power surge on HUB Port

What is your definition of – [HUB Port] –

(1) – Do you mean – [Root Hub] – referred to in – [Device Manager] – if so then you may need to use an – [External Powered USB HUB] – that is solely dedicated to – [Motorola Razr cell phone]
(2) – Do you mean – [External USB HUB] – if so it must be an [Externally Powered] & dedicated to the – [Motorola Razr cell phone]

Regardless of your definition – here are some comments -

(1) – USB Ports are limited to 500 milliamps –
(2) – External Powered USB HUBS usually have an – [External/Internal Switch] –that should be set to the – [External] – Position – to save drain from PC Power Supply
(3) – Not all – [Native USB Ports] – are capable of 500 milliamps
(4) – And not all – [USB HUBS] are – [Externally Powered] –
(5) – There are – [Quality Differences] – between USB HUBS – Some can handle – [Inrush Current] – Better than others –
(6) – If the USB Device is a 500 milliamp device – you may have to select a – [USB HUB] – that was tested & proven to be compatible to – [Motorola Razr cell phone] –
(7) – Laptops have – [Power Saving Utilities] – that may be interfering with installation – They are usually – Controlled by – [BIOS Settings] – ACPI – (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) –
A power management specification developed by Intel, Toshiba and Microsoft that makes hardware status information available to the operating system. ACPI enables a PC to turn its peripherals on and off for improved power management especially in portables.
(8) – Have you the latest – [Drivers] – [Correct Data USB CABLE] & Manual – Try website -
http://www.cellphone...ustom.aspx?id=3

(9) – Do you have an active Account for this service-

(10)- Phone may need a reset – Leave Cables Connected – Turn Phone – [OFF] – for 5 – 10 seconds – Then Turn – [ON] –

That is all the suggestions I have as of now – Might want to visit – [Laptop Website] – and inquire about USB DATA Cable – with Motorola Cell Phone Issues -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 14 March 2006 - 09:44 AM.

kittenskysong

kittenskysong

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem with my external dvd player for my laptop and all I had to do was replace the cord and the problem solved itself.