Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEWBIE - Having difficulties with Regedit in Win98

• Please log in to reply

Stellium

Stellium

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

So far I've run a bunch of virus scans, (Avast and Panda) spyware killers (Spybot, SpySweeper, Adaware) and have managed to remove Zonealarms from my computer. (not quite completely though)

Problem is as follows, scans are clean, but on start-up, sys.ini and registry are looking for zonealarms to initialize. Tried to remove the offending line and I can't open regedit (program tried to execute an invalid instruction, fault location 0811:0102...

Computer runs and actually seems to have speeded up (surfing net no longer interrupted after 1 to 2 minutes or so) but I'd like some help in finsihing the clean up. I've been at this for two days now and I'm not a super user, just persistent (I've rebooted my computer nearly a hundred times since yesterday)

Please help

Thanks

Stellium

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
you say that sys.ini & registry are looking for zone alarm
What are the mesages you are getting on startup ?

kroberts

kroberts

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Have you tried Run>msconfig and disable zone lab client and true vector from startup?

Stellium

Stellium

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I have edited registry and removed the reference to vsdata95.vxd and now it boots without interruption. Although, while it boots there are a couple of messages that probably don't belong.

The most recent addition is the cryptic "Rem Tshoot : set tvdumpf lags = 8" which occurs during the black screen after?/while? bios is loading (I think) before windows screen

The command was in Autoexec.bat and even after editing it out, it still persists. Not sure how to find/edit/delete this.

Can you help? Didn't want to post HijackThis logs if not really needed, is there some way to diagnose?

Also, tell people out there that Zonealarms is a right pain... BEWARE: If you install, it won't come off easily.

Stellium

Edited by Stellium, 13 March 2006 - 02:07 PM.

kroberts

kroberts

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
lol, yeah ive got set tv dump flags=8 as well, i thought i got it due to bt internet and was to do with streaming video? anyways, never done any harm on my pc. I use zone alarm and find it very good once you have set the allows and diss allows? In fact i only use ZA and AVG on my pc, never had any bad stuff happen that i couldnt deal with yet? lucky me?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
This flag is so that the True Vector engine can collect data and save to the tvdebug file in case you ever need help from ZoneLabs in troubleshooting your problem. So the only time something gets transmitted is when you do it manually.

This is needed in the autoexec.bat in the windows 98 versions of windows (and possibly in the ME versions as well), basically because the ZA 5.5 is written more for the kernel in the more modern versions of windows. It is a comparability thing.

Uninstall Zone Alarm

Edited by peterm, 13 March 2006 - 04:26 PM.

Stellium

Stellium

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Peter,

Ok, that makes sense, but since I now have removed the ZoneAlarm programs (manually, by deleting all files and references to ZoneLabs software), how would I go about cleaning up that (hopefully final) piece of evidence on my computer?

Jacques

Edited by Stellium, 13 March 2006 - 05:26 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I know you said you edited your autoexec but go back and check.
in dos just put C:> type autoexec.bat Enter
If you can't see the line in your autoexec try the config.
c:>type config.sys enter