Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Lost

• Please log in to reply

mrthorpe

mrthorpe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
While running scandisc, my computer went totally blank like there was a power outage. The normal power indicator light on the hardrive is out. No sounds from within the hardrive. All resetting steps are useless. The power strip is working properly(other items plugged in work fine). I plugged the computer into a different outlet, still no power indications. Are there internal fuses or reset switches I can check? Or is this a case of burned up power supply?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

It sure sounds like that's what happened. I've heard how power supplies can go out with a "bang".

You can open your computer up and look in the inside. See if anything is burnt or if any of the capacitors on the motherboard are leaking. Also, note if you smell any kind of burnt smell.

Before simply replacing the PSU (power supply unit), see if your other computer's parts, such as the RAM, Hard Drive, and CD drives, work in a different computer. Because, if they don't, then that means they were fried when this happened, and it would be better to replace the whole computer.

mrthorpe

mrthorpe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. I tried to start the computer up once more for GP and it works! I ran scandisc again and 20 mins into it the computer shutdown again. I found that if I unplug the computer then plug it back in the computer works fine.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I thought about it last night, and then I realized it was more likely due to the cord being loose at the computer's end. :tazz:

I'm glad you got it. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this sounds to me like a failing power supply..it's not uncommon for one rail of the PSU to go out (i.e. the one controlling your HD hence the hd going out but the other compontents staying on)...don't know why unpllugging then plugging the machine back in would make a difference....but it could

mrthorpe

mrthorpe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The power cord wasn't loose. For whatever reason that's the only way to restore power back to the computer after it shuts down from running scandisc. Could there be a problem with scandisc? In order to run scandisc does my antivirus have to be disabled? It wasn't. Once I get the answer to these questions I'll try running scandisc once more tonight. If the computer shuts down again I'll just take it to Best Buy. Thanks for all the help

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Scandisc shouldn't do that. Even with the anti-virus running.

I suspect either scandisk has become corrupted, or some other windows file(s) have become corrupted.

I don't know if the Best Buy geeks will deal with this kind of problem...

If you have an XP CD, I can help you repair your windows and see if that is the cause.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 14 March 2006 - 07:38 AM.