Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows error keeps coming

• Please log in to reply

vrbasgrad

vrbasgrad

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
So I firstly get the windows box popping up saying "windows explorer has encountered an error and needs to close. Sorry for any inconvenience."
Error Signature---- AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: unknown ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00000000

Windows tells me to do this:

Situation 1

Click Start, and then click Run.
Type cmd.exe and press OK.
Type cd c:\
Type dir /s q*_disk.dll and press ENTER.
If this returns any results other than "file not found," then update your virus protection software by going to the manufacturer's website and downloading the latest signature file. After you update your virus protection software, run a full scan of your computer.
If these steps do not resolve the issue please continue to submit crash reports and we will continue to investigate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Situation 2

This crash may be due to the following:

A corrupted media file or files (either partially downloaded or in some other manner corrupted).
A corrupted audio or video codec being installed. A codec is software that is used to compress or decompress a digital media file, such as a song or video. The media player and other programs use codecs to play and create digital media files.
Note: You will know if a file is corrupted if your media player crashes when you try to play the file.

If you find that there are many corrupted files, uninstall any recently installed programs (such as audio or video compression or editing tools) that may have installed any media codecs, including Divx , mped2dmx.ax, or ffdshow.ax/libavcodec.dll.

To uninstall a program:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Add or Remove Programs.
Under Pick a task..., click Remove a program.
From the list of currently installed programs, select a program, and then click Change/Remove or Remove.
If these steps do not resolve the issue please continue to submit crash reports and we will continue to investigate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Situation 3

This crash may be due to a corrupted file, or pair of files. To resolve this, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, and then copy and paste the following text into the text entry box: regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\scriptproxy.dll"
When the RegSvr 32 dialog box appears, it should display "DllUnRegisterServer in succeeded." Click OK to close the dialog box.
Click Start, click Run, and then copy and paste the following into the text entry box: regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll
When the RegSvr 32 dialog box appears, it should display "DllRegisterServer in succeeded." Click OK to close the dialog box.
----

Situation 1: "File not found"

Situation 2: I have not put anything in 'My Pictures' apart from pictures and some small vidoes from my digital camera, all which work in their appropriate player without crashing the program.

Situation 3: It won't run it so I'm not really sure

but I'm assuming thats something is corrupted?

Can someone help me out? It could just be situation 3 but I can't make those commands work in run, it always can't find the file/extension.

I did try everything and nothing. My antivirus is up to date.I dont know what to do unless I format my compuer again.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

You can also run this from task manager, file, new task

vrbasgrad

vrbasgrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
still the same any other option

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, type Y then press enter and as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

vrbasgrad

vrbasgrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
still the same after all thew repairs windows did

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor