Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resident Memory too low to start Windows.

• Please log in to reply

Bluedogshepherd

Bluedogshepherd

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everyone!
I just found your sight....looks pretty cool.

I have a Windows 98 startup issue.

I installed turbo tax 2005 and opened an explorer window when whammo!

Computer crashed and now freezes upon startup.
I can start in Safe mode.

I uninstalled Turbo tax 2005. I noticed there was some wierd 2005 Itsdeductable too that crapped out several times while trying to uninstall.
So I'm not sure if it is gone or not.

When I start in step by step mode I get the resident memory error saying it cannot start Windows.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

Sam_G

Sam_G

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
sam that's just completely useless advice and we NEVER suggest someone buy a new computer to fix a simple problem just because there's more support for windows xp or 2000 instead of 98....if you don't have valid input...don't press the add reply button

Bluedogshepherd

Bluedogshepherd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I ran a registry repair from a command prompt. It seems to have fixed the problem. Too bad I deleted half the programs before I did this!

I like having an old computer to fiddle with. With all of its headaches..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
glad you found a sollution...if the issue re apears don't hesitate to ask for help again

Bluedogshepherd

Bluedogshepherd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK the computer crashed again upon startup.
It definitely is due to Turbotax being installed since when go to the backup reg everything is fine until I reinstall turbo tax.

Unless someone knows a fix for this I am going to upgrade to Windows 2000. Maybe 2000 will be ok.

Thanks for the input.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98 CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Bluedogshepherd

Bluedogshepherd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Unfortunately I decided to take the advise of another poster and upgrade to win 2000. Now I have another problem. I am unable to connect to the internet. I keep getting a message upon boot stating click program you want to open 802.11g Wireless PC card. I thought I could run msconfig and start this but it looks like in 2000 msconfig doesn't exit.

I called Belkin and of course they said it was the Linksys Router call Linksys.
Yet there are two other computers in the house that connect to that router fine.

Any help on this msconfig problem?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you install the software for the wireless card? drivers and belkin software?

Bluedogshepherd

Bluedogshepherd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi
Thanks for continuing with this thread.

after I installed Windows 2000 to upgrade 98 I no longer had internet access. I uninstalled Belkins software. Even though I really think it is not uninstalling because even after going to add remove programs and choosing uninstall I can see the Blekin Icon in the control panel. When I click on it the software opens up. In using the software it sees some wireless networks including mine. But the wierd thing is that it doesn't connect to them. Even wierder is yesterday it did connect to some random network...not mine..for 15 minutes. I still can't get into msconfig which might be part of the problem. I think the Belkin program is trying to connect upon startup but can't because of the msconfig. Just a guess. Any ideas? should I change the channel on the router or something? I don't mind working at this but I need some expert direction.