Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backing up PC games

• Please log in to reply

kyliepak

kyliepak

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
:) :) :)

Hi just wondering if anyone knows what software to use when you want to backup your purchaced disc.

i have recently purchaced a pc game and want to copy it so i can place the original away for safe keeping (i have young childrevn that like to play).

i have no idea i have been searching net and its all to confusing.

I DID NOT PIRATE THIS I HAVE ORIGINAL DISKS....

PLEASE ANYONE HELP :) :) :) :tazz: :)

Edited by kyliepak, 13 March 2006 - 12:16 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as long as the game does not include any form of copyright protection you can create a backup with any (well let's say most) cd burning software....most burning software packages have the ability to "rip" a data cd in .iso format...which is what you will want to do...what burning software do you use?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Of course, the catch is almost EVERY game includes some form of copyright protection. So, while copyright laws allow you to make a backup, the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) prohibits you from circumventing the copyright protection. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Although the DMCA only applies to users inside the United States other countries have there own laws, some have none some have outlawed CD burners all together for everyone, you should chek what laws apply to you.

However DMCA is fairly broad and mentions not indiviudual users from what ive read but someone providing a service or technology that bypasses the restrictions the actuall use of them i cant see anything in there but im not reading it all just a relevant sections. Its one funky law though and is incredibly broad as well covering not just digital products.

kyliepak

kyliepak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thanks for your reply

i am using NERO at the moment and yes it has copy protection

NOW so how i understand it is
I CAN NOT BACKUP AND USE IT AS MY PLAYING DISC

Sovereign

Sovereign

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey Kyliepak,

Some games can be backed-up and played using the backed up CD, but because of the rediculously expensive and completely inneffective copyright protection that hilariously hinders legitimate users more than illegal piraters, alot of games legally can't.

Some games can be backed up, some games can't. Sorry we can't provide anything more.

Edited by Sovereign, 21 March 2006 - 04:15 PM.

kyliepak

kyliepak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks guys for all ya help

:tazz: :) :)

i think i will finish game and put the game away haha