Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Time duration of a computer

• Please log in to reply

The_Wanderer

The_Wanderer

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey all,

I was wondering, if I leave my notebook on all day without sleep mode, will it damage or overheat it? I've actually already done this and so far it hasn't acted weird. Of course, I don't intend to leave my computer on for infinity, but I was just a little curious. Also, does anyone know how long you can leave your computer on without sleep mode before it starts taking damage? Much thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There are two schools of thought:

1) Not constantly power-cycling the system helps the components as they don't have to keep stopping and starting. But you draw power which has to be generated from somewhere hence the moral and social "is it the right thing to do" thing.

2) Shutting off the system when you're not using it helps your power bill and the environment, but causes more hassle for you waiting for it to start up every time.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm a major proponent of never turning off desktops....but with laptops it's best to turn them off when not using them...laptops are designed to keep themselves cool for certain periods of time...due to their compact nature it's not easy to cool them as efficiently as a desktop pc...so when they heat up...they HEAT up fast, and leaving them on for oo long can reduce the life of the cooling fans..which are extremely hard to change...