Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Found New Hardware Wizard

• Please log in to reply

Paper Assassin

Paper Assassin

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi, ever since I tried installing software for my printer, the Found New Hardware Wizard pops up everytime on boot-up, and on other occasions as well. Basically, a "phantom" printer is being detected, even if I remove my real printer. I've tried deleting this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM

However, I get a this very general error message:

Cannot delete LPTENUM: Error while deleting key.

Not only is this problem annoying, but I suspect it's preventing me from properly installing my real printer.

Advertisements

JoNNiE - D

JoNNiE - D

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey Paper Assasin,Is the LPTENUM printer enabled as your current printed in 'Printers and Faxes'?

JoNNiE D

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

LPTENUM printer

isn't a reference to a printer in the registry...that stands for LPT ENUMeration which basically means "check for printers on lpt ports...count them...then install them if they're there".

paper is the printer that you're trying to install an lpt printer or usb?

Paper Assassin

Paper Assassin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
The printer I was trying to install was the HP PSC 1315xi. In other words, it is an USB printer.

I was having problems installing this printer (maybe the New Hardware Wizard has something to do with it?). Anyway, as a result, I have no printer set as default because I have no printers installed on my system right now.

Edited by Paper Assassin, 13 March 2006 - 09:08 PM.