Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help again..

• Please log in to reply

spitzz

spitzz

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey there again,

I had just recently change a new pc cause the old one condemn and die out (prolly the mobo lol). As for now i got different dvd and cd drives. Now the question is, normally when i run a setup (e.g 3d mark 2005) from a cd, it seems to uses up 100% of the cpu usage (when i go to task manager and had a look out)..
Usually such things don't happen to me old pc, like for example i can run window media player (playing songs) without any shuttering of the music. But now, whenever i run a cd setup, the music goes shuttering and its really annoying OR when transfering files from cd to ma desktop (causes shutter also).. Is there a way i can solve such probs?

My new pc spec are defenitely much better than my old pc but i don't see such thing happening for any reason though.. While running my whole desktop kinda laggy :S
btw, my dvd drive is a combo. = 52x dvd/cd-rw

Thanks again to whoever can reply upon my probs. :tazz:

Edited by spitzz, 13 March 2006 - 05:01 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This may not be your problem but i had a computer that ran CD's badly because the cdrom and dvd-rw drives were set to cable select. Setting them to master and slave corrected the problem. It may work for you.

SRX660

spitzz

spitzz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hmm how do u set them to master/slave?
Another thing i find out in other forum is that i might need to set it to DMA and not PIO.. This process however works. But the problem is when i set to DMA mode, my drive won't work properly and takes million of ages for it to run the cd.. What cud be the problem? Hmm.. :tazz: :)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
On the back of the drives is a jumper that has 3 settings. They are usually marked as CS, MA, and SL. These are cable select, maste and slave. On the data cable(the wide ribbon one)the end connector is for the master, the middle connector is for slave and the other end is fro the motherboard connector. Most new cables will have a different colored connector on the motherboard connector while the other 2 connectors will be the same color.

SRX660

spitzz

spitzz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Umm what do you mean by 3 jumper? lol.. sorry cause im really quite new to hardware computing.. Ermm if you mean the cable, then i don't see any cable stuck to any of the 3 you mentioned. I saw SLA and ermm audio etc.. not sure what is it lol. The drive only got 2 cable stuck to it, one to connected to my mobo and other to the power supply. Hmm..

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres the jumpers.

http://www.buildyour....net/step7.html

Heres what the data cable that connects the drives looks like.

http://www.misco.co....affiliate=2020#

The blue connector usually goes to the motherboard. The grey connector is the slave connector and the black connector is the master connector.

SRX660

spitzz

spitzz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Oh.. I see.. Urmm currently the master and slave is connected to both 2 of my different drives. (Master on the cd rom drive and slave on my dvd/cdrw combo drive. in other words, my jumper are correctly set. I have 2 drives - cd rom drive and dvd/cd-rw combo drive..
Is it connected correctly? or wat do i need to change it? What seems to be the problem eh..? =(

Edited by spitzz, 13 March 2006 - 11:55 PM.