Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics Card Problems

• Please log in to reply

mark2512

mark2512

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Having realised that many of the new PC games being build now-a-days require a better graphics card i decided it was time to upgrade my GeForce 2 FX400 for a GeForce 4 Ti 4400 APG 128MB. I removed the old one and stuck in the new. The first time i started up the computer it worked fine excpet the colour and pixel problems on screen. I loggin in with no fuss. The computer picked up the new hardware and i installed the latest Forceware (81.98) available for download at the nvidia website. I then rebooted the computer. This is where the problems started firstly it takes ages to reach the loggin screen but when im there i cant see any of the loggin names or buttons. If i guess correctly and click on one the computer usually restarts. If it does reach the desktop, (this has only happened once) then im presented with a block colour background with colour errors and a few partial desktop logos. However the computer then freezes and has to be manually turned off. Sometimes, usually after a scandisk, the computer never reaches the log in screen. This is the second time Ive tried to upgrade, the first was a ATI card which produced the same results, however the friend who gave it said it may be a fault with the card so i stuck with my GeForce 2. I'm sure there must be a way to fix this. Can you help? Below is my current graphic card specs:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4
CPU: 1.80ghz
perating System: Windows Xp (Service Pack 2)

Card Info:
GeFroce 4 MX/MX 400
Vid BIOS version: 3.11.01.37.64
IRQ: 16
APG: 4x
Memory: 64 MB

I'm afraid I'm unsure of the sepcs of the new card, but i have been told by various sources that it is compatitble.

Thanks guys,
-Mark

One top of all that my computer also now seems to be running abmormally slow with the old graphics card back in.

Edited by mark2512, 13 March 2006 - 06:36 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I had to remove the old nvidia card drivers then install the new video card and install the newest drivers on my puter. The first time around i did not uninstall the card from device manager and also delete the nvidia drivers folder. This resulted in the computer crashing to where i could only get to safe mode. It took both the uninstall and delete to finally fix the problem.I did make the mistake of installing the new drivers to the same drivers folder as the old video card which may have caused this.

SRX660

mark2512

mark2512

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks a lot. Ill try it out and see how it goes. I take you managed to reach the desk top first time round?

mark2512

mark2512

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for your suggestion SRX660 however we still are experiecing problems with the graphics card. We get to the desktop with all blocky colours etc and get a 'New Hardware Found' message which is followed by a message asking for video controllers. If i try to install the Forceware the computer crashes on completion as it does with Roll Back Drivers in the Device manager.

Please help, getting quite annoyed now,

-Mark

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you tried older drivers, the geforce 4s are very old and they are known to have some problems with the newer forceware drivers as nvidia stopped properly supporting them in drivers a long time ago, are you sure your PSU is up to handling the faster card as well.

mark2512

mark2512

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Which driver version do you recommend? Does this solve the video controller pop up message?

mark2512

mark2512

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK, got a few new developements with my graphics card. I deleted all the driver files in teh NVIDIA folder in my c: drive so only an empty NVIDIA file remains. I uninstalled the driver of my old card as well as the card itslef so the only drivers it has on it are the microsoft ones with the computer.

I put in the new card, logged in and meet with the 'New Hardware Found' message asking for Video Controller (VGA Compatible). I searched all drivers and eventually it found something which it began to install. Previously it had never found anything. Also i have internet connectivity (im on a wireless network, which i have never had before while trying to install the new card). However after it installs the screen goes black with rows of pairs of white dots running down it. The light on the computer showing activity does occassionly blink but it stays with this screen so long i have to restart it manually. I never get a chance to install the actual forceware drivers even when i re-log in. I get about a minute until the screen goes black with the white dots again. Also the colours and images still remain blocky and poor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

-Mark

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_71.89.html

Try this drivers. They support some of the older cards.

PS: (Didn't any drivers come with the card on a CD?)

mark2512

mark2512

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I tried again. This time using safe mode when i came on. This eliminated the black sceen with the white dots ive been experiencing. Everything seemed to be working fine, apart from the colours first time i put the card in. It picked it up (on safe mode) and i installed 29.42 drivers and restarted. However im presented with the same blocky graphics. Without safe mode the computer gets to the log in screen but its nearly completely black, if i correctly guess where a log in button is i get taken to one of my desktops but the computer is very slow and sometimes freezes altogether. I tried installing other drivers (61.77) and the lastest (81.94) but they all yielded the same results. I have yet to try the drivers recommended by Comrade General as i couldnt get hold of them with the other card in. While on safe mode i checked my device manager and it says that the GeForce 4 Ti 4400 is my video adapter. There must be a way of fixing this!

Please help me guys! Ive already brought BFMEII and really wanna play it on new card!!!

Thanks
Mark

jwardy07

jwardy07

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
ur nearly there by the sounds of it. certainly a better progress since sun night. can u view bios properly now? twiddlin in there might make difference? or fine tuning in appearence settings in control panel? i dunno, like the guy said, try n get the right age of drivers for it, so search google about ur graphics card and see if there ne sites that recreamend specific drivers or actions of installation.

Jamie

jwardy07

jwardy07

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
u got ne further?

Jamie