Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can someone kind please help?

• Please log in to reply

FinbarLlama

FinbarLlama

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, thank you for this website!

I am going to work my way through the advice given about checking my system, but I wanted to explain my problems in case anyone think of a solution.

1) Firstly my computer is being slow. It spends a lot of time whirring to itself.

2) Whenever I try to write a message or reply to an email (using Wanadoo Webmail) it freezes for about a minute and whirrs away. When it eventually responds, when I tryto delete in the webmail, it leaves the deleted text up on the screen and just moves the cursor!

3) It often is very slow and freezes when I try to open a website. This is not every time though.

I have already run a lot of removal software. Ewido found something called rpcnet / rpcnetp, but it keeps reappearing in my System32 folder. There are a lot of processes that I am not sure what they are in my Hijack this log (though I am no computer expert), Also I am running ZoneAlarm and that tells me that something called Generic Processes for Win32 Services is constantly running.

I hope that this can be solved. Thank you!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you will need the XP CD

System File Check will display an onscreen blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should and you can check for any improvement

This section is optional

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

XP Repair

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

FinbarLlama

FinbarLlama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, and thank ou very much for your quick reply.

Before I follow your instructions, I should say that I do not have the XP cd - my laptop comes from school. Should I wait until I get the cd from my technician?

Also, I have researched some of the processes that appear in Task Manager - and the following may be dodgy. They are:
csrss.exe
lexbces.exe
rpcnetp.exe
system

Also, I could find no information on:
MSASCui,exe
MsMpEng.exe

I do not know if this helps.

Thank you again!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
csrss.exe
Process Name: Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem

Description: csrss.exe is the main executable for the Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem. This process manages most graphical commands in Windows. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: csrss.exe is also process which is registered as a number of mass mailing worms and trojans. These viruses are distributed via the Internet through e-mail and comes in the form of an e-mail message, in the hopes that you open it’s hostile attachment. The worm has it’s own SMTP engine which means it gathers E-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases this worm can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

lexbces.exe
Process Name: LexBce Service

Description: lexbces.exe is a process which is associated with Lexmark MarkVision. This should be loaded in order to confirgure a Lexmark printer's onboard network server. This program is a non-essential system process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

RPCNETP - Ask the technician if the laptop has computrace, (tracking for stolen laptops)

MSASCui.exe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:
MSASCui.exe is part of Microsoft Windows Defender, which is a spyware removal program originated from Windows AntiSpyware. MSASCui.exe is run in background silently. Leave it alone to ensure your system being fully protected by Windows Defender.

MsMpEng.exe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:
MsMpEng.exe is the Windows Defender Auto-Protect Service that is the core engine of Windows Defender, which is originally Microsoft AntiSpyware software. At the time of writing, Windows Defender is still in beta 2 phase, so do not be too surprised when you encounter a few errors.

Run sfc /scannow anyway, if it asks for the CD press skip. if it asks a few times, press cancel, ask the technician to run it

FinbarLlama

FinbarLlama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you very much for your super quick reply.

I have run disck cleaner - no problems.

However, the defragmenter has ecnonter a problem with a file in system32/WBEM/logs/WBEMPROX.lo_ twice and stopped!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can see the technicians anytime soon, let them deal with it

If you are allowed to download and install things, run the tune up section

FinbarLlama

FinbarLlama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for your replies. I think I ill stop hassling you and speak to our technician - as the scannow nor dskchk does not respond or work!

Thank you so much for your help - sorry to be a pain!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No problem, if you have technicians on hand let them do the worrying, at least they won't be able to say, " you should have brought it to us " if anything goes wrong