Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My computer would not start up

• Please log in to reply

PrinceK

PrinceK

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Please Help. My computer would not start up at all.

I tried to replace my DVD drive yesterday, now after I have connected I started the system up and I realise that the eject function was not working. So I turn the system off and I had to replace it be a thin lead that the devise came with. I then tried to turn the computer on and it would not start at all. Not a single movement.

Edited by PrinceK, 13 March 2006 - 04:05 AM.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Hello PrinceK and welcome to G2G!

What thin cable are you referring to?
What did you plug this cable into?
Does the PC power on?
Are there any beeps?

PrinceK

PrinceK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Now, a thin cable came with the Devise when I bought it. I should think it’s the jumpers which goes onto the Mother board.
At the moment there is no sound at all and No power.
I am beginning to think that the system is gone completely.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
If you mean this then that's the data cable. If you get no power at all and no fans turn on then that's a bad power supply.
Do you have a spare you could try?

PrinceK

PrinceK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No its not the data cable, this has only four hole, but three colour wires.
Actually there are three able that goes behind the devise. The Power cable, the data cable and this last was which I don't know its name. but I know its the thinest of them all.

When you say the power supply do you mean the power from the wall or the power in the system?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
It's the audio cable. Where did you plug it in?
I was talking about the power supply unit inside the PC.
Have you checked the fuse in the plug?

PrinceK

PrinceK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No. But I going to check it when I get home and get back to you. But anyway thank you for your support so far. I would be in touch.

PrinceK

PrinceK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
With the audio cable, I took of the old one which was in the system and replace it be the new on. Same place I took it off. Maybe I put it in the wrong way?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I found this little tutorial, and as optical drives havent changed since the dawn of time then it still applies: http://www.helpwithp...cd_recorder.htm

PrinceK

PrinceK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Cheers

PrinceK

PrinceK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I think the problem is from the power switch. Last night I open the system up and I realised that the cables from the switch to the mother board has all come out, and not on the board. But I couldn’t figure out how to plug them on the board. Could some one please give me some instructions on how to go about it?

I saw the cables had labels like Power switch, reset switch, head switch etc, but there was no labels on the board.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
That information should be contained in the motherboard manual.