System: Dell Dimension 4550, Intel Pentium 4, Windows XP (preloaded) and upgraded to XP2, Internet Explorer Ver: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 (Update version XP2)
All current critical Windows updates loaded
I have been using McAfee’s antivirus on my computer, but could not download the upgrades automatically. I had to do it manually by going to the homepage and downloading the DAT files and then replacing them in the McAfee.com/VSO folder according to the instructions here: http://tools.mcafeeh...8321&support=ts
Last week I bought an upgrade to my McAfee Internet Security suite online (since my subscription was about to end). It was for a online installation (there was no option to buy the program to be sent to my home via CD). Before downloading the installation, I removed all my McAfee programs via “Add/Remove”. I then rebooted my computer and tried to download the upgrade. It was then that I ended up with a massive problem. I could not install the program because it said that an Active X had to be installed. I know that the IE information bar will show the need for this but I get no IE information bar!!!!!
Here is a screenshot:
I then followed their instructions to fix the situaton.:
“Overview of Internet Explorer 'Information Bar'
As part of Microsoft's release of XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Internet Explorer (IE) has been updated with an 'information bar', located just below the address bar, which displays information about downloads, blocked pop-up windows, and other activities.
What normal McAfee activities might display the information bar?
If Internet Explorer default settings are on, you'll see the Information Bar when a Web site tries to:
Install an ActiveX control
Install an ActiveX controlOpen a pop-up window
How do I allow the blocked McAfee activity?
When a normal McAfee activity is blocked, the information bar will be displayed. Simply click the information bar message to display available options and select the allow option.
Repair your Microsoft Windows Script
Microsoft Windows Script download contains the scripting infrastructure for the Windows platform.
Click here to visit Microsoft Windows Script download page and install the latest version for your operating system.”
I followed the above advice and downloaded the Windows Script here: http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en
After doing so, I disconnected from the internet, did a disk cleanup, cleaned the Temporary Internet files, and rebooted. I then tried to redownload the program but once again I ended up in the same window. At that point I contacted the help chat of Macafee. They suggested that I download and manually install the Active X myself here: http://tools.mcafeeh...5593&support=ts . I did that, cleaned up my Temp. Int. Folder, but still could not download the program. At that point, the McAfee helpdesk suggested that I contact Microsoft for assistance in “enabling” my IE information bar, since they claimed that it was inactive. HOWEVER, I DO get the IE Information bar on other websites. It comes up when a popup is blocked, or when an Active X tries to download. BUT, it does not always show up on some sites, such as Pandasoftware.com/Activescan.
Here is a screenshot:
What I have done since:
1) I downloaded and installed the AVG free antivirus so that I have something to protect my computer in the meantime
2) I upgraded AVG and ran a full scan. No virus found
3) I upgraded and ran Spybot and Ad Aware and ran scans, No malware found.
4) I have run the free online scans of McAfee and Norton (both which required an Active X, both which activated my IE information bar) and both said that I don’t have an antivirus program running! Windows Security Center says my AVG is running!
5) I ran the EICAR antivirus test and AVG only found one of 3! The zipped test files were not automatically detected. I had to scan both manually before AVG found them.
6) I also have the free version of the A2 scanner. When I manually checked the two zipped files from EICAR, the A2 scanner did not identify them as viruses!
7) I ran the “chkdsk/ f /r “ test and the ‘sfc /scannow’ test but both found nothing wrong.
8) I ran the registry cleaner of “Tweak Now” and removed any links to McAfee
After doing all that, I still can’t download my upgrade because of the missing Active X and the failure of IE Information bar to show up.
What can I do?? McAfee says that there is something wrong with my IE information bar (and it seems as if it does not work in some sites such as the download page of McAfee or Panda). Is there SOMETHING wrong with my IE information bar that it is not recognizing McAfee’s active X?