Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bios flashing

• Please log in to reply

psychonyx

psychonyx

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
:tazz: I am having problems with newly built system: no display. I am using an Asus P4V8X-MX Socket 478/VIA P4M800/SATA/RAID/A&V&L Motherboard with an Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz 800MHz 478pin 1MB Tray CPU. It was bought to my attention that I might need my bios updated but is it possible to do this with no display and bios not properly posting? I will appreciate any and suggestions regarding this matter. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• deadguy.jpg

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if during boot you're getting ABSOLUTELY no video then you wont beable to flash the bios...as you won't beable to read any thing

could you describe exactly what heppens when you power on?

also...do you have onboard video on this motherboard? or an expansion video card (agp, pci, pcie)? or both onboard and expansion?

psychonyx

psychonyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
no onboard video but using an Asus nVidia GeForce 6600 256MB TV/DVI/Dual Head AGP Video Card. I have the motherboard out of the case on a book and only CPU, one gig stick ddram & video card, i get one long approx 6 sec beep. I swapped ram but that didn't make any difference.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
1 long beep is usually a ram error...do you have other ram you can test with?

psychonyx

psychonyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Tried that already

RuddyRum

RuddyRum

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
do a barebone test... try only the CPU & Heatsink in the Mobo... you should get 3 beeps if all is ok!!! If no beeps occur, you have a faulty board or CPU! If you hear 3 beeps then intigrate the RAM & GPU, and post back with the results!

With regards to the BIOS Update, i would recommend a BIOS recovery (Not all board manufactuerers support this) you don't even need to POST in order to do that, and it may sort out some issues...