Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

switching from broadband to dial up -settings help pls

• Please log in to reply

estoi

estoi

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi there,

hope you can help!

I work from home and use Telewest Broadband which I' happy with. However as a back up it's in my contract that I have to also have dial up connection in case broadband goes down. When I set this up I wrote down all the settings and everything that I need to change in order for it all to work smoothly. I have, however, rather stupidly lost my list of what to do.

Can anybody help please? I know I have to change something like LAN settings and things like that, but I simply can't remember what I have to do in order to make the swtich between dial up and boradband. I know all the practical things like plugging in the dial up modem and whacking it into the phone line etc but it's the internet options on the PC I;m struggling with.

If anyone can help I'll be really really really grateful!

Thanks,

Estoi

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
They should have given you a number to dial up into.

estoi

estoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
thanks. Ues I do have the number, but I also remember having toclick on several different settings options but I can't remember what they were. any ideas?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your LAN should be set up automatically....but the dialup settins you should have set up yourself? do you remember setting up the connection for the dial up modem?

right click on my network places on th e desktop and choose properties...you should see at least two connection sin there...one for lan and one for the dial up account if you do see both of these..you probably set up your dialup accou t....but you can do the following to verify

right click the dialup account icon and choose properties. there you should see the phone number that they told you to set up...

now IF you need to use the Failover dialup account instead of the broadband account (such as if thre is a failure with their service or device) then right click on your internet exploere icon on the desktop and choose properties...then go to the connections tab. and either choose "dial when my network connection is not availavle" or always dial my default connection (i would choose the first of those two that way it will be automatic) basically what this does is if your boradband connection becomes unavailable...if you choose the "dial when my network connection is not availavle" option....then when you go to open up internet explorer your computer will automatically use the dialup account...then w hen they restore connectivity for the broadband service...the next time you use IE it will use the broadband connection

estoi

estoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
fantastic!! that's the one! All of that rings a great big bell with me!!

I'm massively grateful!!

thank you!