Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 pcs home network

• Please log in to reply

lisabel

lisabel

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi!
its my first attempt of setting up a home network so i'm a newbie at this... i'll try to describe the situation at my best:

i have 2 pcs, 1 desktop wired to a router and i just added a laptop with wireless connection.
Desktop: WinXp Home - SP1 (havent updated to SP2 'cos all was fine so far and i've always been afraid of messing up!)
Laptop : WinXp Home - SP2
Router: Allnet 0277
XP firewall turned off on both pcs
ZoneAlarm Firewall active on both (hopefully with right settings)

i followed several guides on the net to configure the network but, although the network seems to work, i cannot make the file sharing work completely on both directions.

Once i setup the router i had internet working fine on both, both pcs access the net via the router.
i assigned static IPs to both pcs (procedure required to make Emule software working through the router, as found on the Emule guides)
I set names for the pcs, both belong to the same workgroup named MSHOME. I used the WinXp guided procedure on both pcs to set the home network.

the situation is now the following:
ping works correctly from both pcs, they ping eachother fine.
File sharing works only in one direction:
From the desktop i can access the laptop pc shared resources fine (if i type at command prompt: \\laptop_pc, i get the shared resources window)
From the laptop i CANT, when i type \\desktop_pc i get an error message: "impossible to connect to \\desktop_pc. User might not have the necessary authorization...."
this makes impossible to share files, and especially the printer resource.
(users on both pcs have administrator rights)

When i type ipconfig/all i get the following:
for the desktop:

WINDOWS IP
Host: DESKTOP_PC
primary DNS:
Nodo: Hybrid
Routing IP: No
Proxy wins: No

ETHERNET CARD
Specific DNS:
Description: Realtek RTL8139/810x
Address: 00-0C-6E....
DHCP: No
IP address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
Obtained Lease: march 13,06 [this appeared only today - what does this mean?]
Expire Lease: march 16,06

for the laptop:

WINDOWS IP
Host: LAPTOP_PC
primary DNS:
Nodo: Unknown [why unknown?]
Routing IP: No
Proxy wins: No

ETHERNET CARD wireless network
Specific DNS:
Description: Atheros AR5005G wireless
Address: 00-14-A4....
DHCP: No
IP address: 192.168.0.3
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

ETHERNET CARD local area network [not used]
Description: Realtek RTL8139/810x
Address: 00-0A-E4....

Well, i hope i didnt forget any useful info, i'd be extremely grateful if you could suggest something to make this work.
thanks a lot in advance,

isabella

Advertisements

Jim P

Jim P

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi:

I am having the same problem with 3 notebook computers networked through a D-Link router.
Two computers can see each other fine and share resources, but cannot access the third
computer. The third computer cannot see either of the other two computers. All computers
can ping each other successfully.

The two computers that can share resources are an older Dell running Windows 2000 and a
new HP running Windows XP. The computer that cannot see the others is a relatively new
Dell running Windows XP (SP2 on both computers running XP).

When I try to display the common workgroup on the "bad" computer (in My Network Places),
I get the error message "workgroup is not available - network path not found".

The "bad" computer originally gave me an error message that the list of servers was not
available. I found Microsoft Knowledge Base article 903267 which deals with a problem if the
network node type is not correct. The "bad" computer displayed a network node type of
"hybrid" using ipconfig/all, while the "good" computers showed the node type as "broadcast".
I edited the registry per the article and changed the node type from 8 to 1 (to agree with the
"good" computer rather than delete the key completely as the article directs). This eliminated
the "server list not available" error. Now I get the "workgroup not available" error. I hope
I have solved part of the problem, but haven't been able get the last computer to access
the other two yet.

I think something is corrupted or missing in the network configuration or protocol of the
"bad" computer. I hope someone can point us to the final solution.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi,

Basic Checklist for Networking
1. Ensure that all firewalls are disabled for all computers involved.
2. Ensure that all computers on the network are in the same workgroup.
3. Ensure each computer has File and Printer Sharing installed.
4. Ensure that you have File Sharing enabled - to do this, right-click on any Drive or Folder on one (or all) of the computers, and select Sharing and Security.... Ensure that Share this folder on the Network is enabled.

Please confirm that you have followed all of these steps, then we can continue.

- Dan

boras

boras

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi!

I have the same problem with my desktop and my laptop and more.....
I can copy files from the desktop to the laptop usually,but sometimes at the end it says: cable unplugged, and the data are lost.It's seems perfectly random to me,because sometimes it does what I want!(Copy)
From the laptop I can't reach the desktop but I can ping it....
I turned off the firewalls,shared the dir.-s but
On my desktop pc I have xp pro
On the laptop xp home
Both computers are using NAV
Firewalls SP 2

I talked to many people but nobody knows what's the problem....yet

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

I've seen this network file sharing problem in the past. I've found that enabling the NetBIOS protocol helps get it going. It's worked for me in the past. I would recommend doing the following on all your computers to ensure full sharing on the network:

*(On each machine)
1. Open Control Panel and then open Network Connections.
2. Right-click on the Local Area Connection that connects to the network and click Properties.
3. In the Properties window, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select it.
4. With TCP/IP selected, click the Install button.
5. In the Select Network Component window, double-click Protocol
6. In the Select Network Protocol window, click the NetBIOS option and click OK

**Here is a picture of what this screen should look like and which option to choose:
Posted Image

After confirming to install the NetBIOS protocol on all of your systems, you should be able to share files on your network now, assuming the proper folders are set up to share access. You may also need to create a workgroup which can be done in 'My Network Places'. There is a wizard you can run with easy to follow steps to create a workgroup so that computers can share files. Unless of course you've already done that. Hope this helps.

Cheers:)

boras

boras

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Dockboy!
Thanks for the hint. I've done what you said,but for now it's the same.
Whwn I am trying to reach the desktop it says :User might not have the necessary authorization...."
Do I have to change the properties in the NETBIOS,that I just installed?

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hmm, tricky. I'm not exactly at a station where I can test this. When I get to my comp, I'll see what's goin on.

Cheers:)

boras

boras

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi!
So the thing is I had to uninstall the NETBIOS ,cause after it it took minutes from the desktop comp to reach the laptop. I could copy from it ,but the same problem occured.(Cable is unplugged)
Anyway I am looking forward yor reply.

Led ZEpp the BEst!! (My favourite: Mr Page)