Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ad-Aware hang @C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShi

• Please log in to reply

komyt

komyt

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello G2G,

I'm running XP home/SP2 along with AntiVir, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Bazooka and Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06. The problem is when I run a scan using Ad-Aware, it hangs when it reaches the following location - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\9\Intel 32. All my other tools report that I'm clean. Any ideas? No rush - I know you're busy.

Thanks, K

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello komyt and welcome to G2G!

I had a similar problem with Ad-Adware hanging while scanning in the Office folder, it turned out to be bad sectors on the hard drive. Try running Chkdsk with scan for bad sectors enable.

komyt

komyt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Zeus,

Thanks for getting back to me. Is there an easy way to run Chkdsk with scan for bad sectors enabled? If so, can you explain it to me? Everything I've seen looks pretty complicated. Sorry :tazz:

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Go into my computer > right click over drive c > click properties > click the tools tab > click check now > click both options and click start.
It will then display the message that it needs to run the check on the next reboot click yes and then restart your computer.

komyt

komyt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Wow - all systems go, she runs like a charm. Many thanks Zeus - you are indeed king of the Olympians! :tazz:

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Glad you got it sorted

To check what was fixed by chkdsk go into control panel > adminitrative tools > event viewer > application.

Your looking for a Winlogon event, double click it and it will display the chkdsk log.

komyt

komyt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks again Zeus,

I found the log but it's all Greek to me - is there anything specific I should be looking for?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Your looking for the line that says bad sectors.
If you would like you can paste it here and we'll have a look.