Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Network problem!

• Please log in to reply

jamieb17

jamieb17

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
At the moment i'm currently trying to set up a home network. I've got one PC and one laptop. The laptop connects to the internet via a wireless adaptot and the PC is connected directly to the router. Is it possible to connect these two computers to a netowrk? I have tried running network setup wizards, but none of them have worked.

Advertisements

killfc

killfc

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
as both your computers are connected to the router then it is technically already a network. if you make sure both computers have the same network id then you are nearly there. What would you like to achieve by creating a network.

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'd like to be able to share files and a printer, nothing too complicated.

Mikail

Mikail

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi... how are your units connected? The way I understand is that your laptop connects to the internet through a wireless adapter so how is connected to your PC?

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It connects directly into the router with a network cable.

Edited by jamieb17, 16 March 2006 - 09:59 AM.

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Anyone gonna help me?

Leehaa

Leehaa

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
http://www.hothardwa...2&enterthread=y

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Jamie,

When you have multiple replies to your topic, we generally assume that you're being helped already, and so we'll be more inclined to look at a topic with 0 replies than a topic with multiple replies.

For all computers involved, please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

I have tried running network setup wizards, but none of them have worked.

How is it not working? What goes wrong? What can't you do?

Basic Checklist for Networking
1. Ensure that all firewalls are disabled for all computers involved.
2. Ensure that all computers on the network are in the same workgroup.
3. Ensure each computer has File and Printer Sharing installed.
4. Ensure that you have File Sharing enabled - to do this, right-click on any Drive or Folder on one (or all) of the computers, and select Sharing and Security.... Ensure that Share this folder on the Network is enabled.

Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> Now type: net view -- please copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.

Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> Now type: nbtstat -c -- please copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.

- Dan

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
That doesn't work, everytime I run CMD I get an error message and it closes. When I say the wizards don't work I mean they don't do anything. When I run them I expect to be able to see the same shared documents file and be able to print wirelessly but nothing happens.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello Jamie,

Before we can actually do anything to fix your network, we really need to get your computer working.

everytime I run CMD I get an error message and it closes.

What error message does it give you?