Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox problems with Flash [resolved]

• Please log in to reply

babyloniantg

babyloniantg

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
My Firefox browser cannot display any flash elements. This had me confused for a while because instead of loading the movies, or whatever, it displays a broken Quicktime movie image. Then I realized the problem was with Flash and not Quicktime. I've got the lastest version of Firefox, and I already installed the plug in. It works on Internet Explorer. I've tried downloading the plugin again, but everytime I double click on the install icon, it shows a progress bar that is loading the installer, but it disappears quickly and nothing happens. Any ideas on how I could get the plugin to work?

Edited by babyloniantg, 16 March 2006 - 05:36 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yes, I've read a little in that thread about quicktime.

Here are a coulple of things you can do...

Type in about:plugins in the address bar and check to see if Shockwave flash is present and enabled. If it is, then the plugin should run. Also check that QT is present and enabled.

Go to Tools/Options/Downloads and click on Plugins. Check to see that Shockwave flash objects are checked/enabled. Also make sure QT is enabled.
BTW... I use FF ver 1.07 and you may need to look elsewhere in ver 1.5, but the info about Shockwave should still be relevant.

Also, are you on dialup, or broadband? Try going to HERE and see if the flash works. If the flash works on this page, then you have a problem with Quicktime and it may just be that you need to set your QT preferences up.

babyloniantg

babyloniantg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I checked the about:plugins page, and Shockwave is present and enabled and so is Quicktime. The only weird thign is the Quicktime objects are listed several times in the page. I checked the plugins and I found Flash Movie, so technically it should work, but it doesn't. I'm usingwireless connecting to broadband. Also, I checked the webpage you gave me, but it says it can't find the server. Any more ideas?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Also, I checked the webpage you gave me, but it says it can't find the server

Try it again or type in www.alohaair.com

It would be good to know if any of your flash is working that's why I linked you to that page.

Edited by makai, 13 March 2006 - 08:54 PM.

babyloniantg

babyloniantg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I went to that website, but it doesn't load properly. I can see the top banner and the links menu, but if I roll over my cursor doesn't change to indicate its a link and if I click on it, it doesn't take me anywhere. When the site is just loading I can see a Quicktime symbol in the center of the page below the menu, but it then goes away, and a white rectangle appears in its place. The page stops loading after that.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, well it looks like FF is messed up. Have you tried reinstalling FF? I'm going to guess you have. However, when uninstalling FF, did you delete all the Mozilla folders before you reinstalled? If not, then FF may use some of the same prefs installed by the earlier version. You must delete all FF folders when uninstalling.

Do this... (note, the following will wipe your bookmarks, so back them up to your desktop before continuing).

Uninstall FF, then delete the folders located at...
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Application Data\Mozilla
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

After you do all the above, reinstall FF and launch it. Then go... HERE to download the Flash Player plugin. Clicking on the download link will take you to the Macromedia site for downloading. Download and install the flash plugin, then close and relaunch FF

Don't install any other extension/plugins until you check if flash is working.

To test flash, go to THIS PAGE... it's a flash base site. If the site loads, then your flash is working. If it does load, then select Media from the menu. This will take you to some surfing videos that uses flash to load Quicktime media. See if these videos run. If not, let me know.

babyloniantg

babyloniantg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I uninstalled Firefox and the flash plugin (just in case since I was going to install it again) and it worked! I can now view Flash elements correctly. Thank you for all the help makai. Just for the record, I wasn't able to find the C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Application Data\ folder (now that I think about it , it may be hidden or something), so I didn't delete it. That didn't seem to affect anything though, and FF kept all my previous settings.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well I'm glad you got it going.

Just for the record, I wasn't able to find the C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Application Data\ folder (now that I think about it , it may be hidden or something), so I didn't delete it. That didn't seem to affect anything though, and FF kept all my previous settings.

Yah, it was probably hidden... and yes, that's why FF kept all your previous settings.

Happy browsing! :tazz: