Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resize partition in 2003

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I am looking for a way to resize the boot partition in sever 2003? anyone know????

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Windows doesn't provide you with any method of resizing a partition, exept expand, and that's only if you have available unallocated space after that partition.

Long story short, it's generally useless and extremely limited. There are other programs however, such as Power Quest Partiton Magic 8.0, which is built to resize, move, copy, delete, rename, reletter, you name it, it probably can do it.

I recommend buying it, although you might just want to borrow a friend's copy.. But this is one of the few programs that'll allow you to do what you need to.

Also, just curious, are you reducing or expanding the drive partition?

Edited by Vaillant, 14 March 2006 - 01:02 AM.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I am expanding into unallocated space. And no, you cant use partition magic on server 2003. That is the whole problem. I cant find anything that will allow you to do it.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Hmm thats an interesting piece of information... I always thought that pq magic had little or no limitations... :tazz:

Hmm this is going to be harder than I first thought... Contrarily to my first post, I mistakenly said that windows lets you expand partitions... Unfortunately I was mistaken. You can create new ones, but no resizing whatsoever ( stupid me assuming microsoft would do something smart for once )

I'll have to get back to you on this.. If anyone else has any ideas go ahead, for now i'm beat.

I'll get back to you.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you wanting to actually expand the partition...or give your main partition m ore space? you create and format a partition on the unallocated space,,then convert all partitions to dynamic and create a dynamic volume

such that if you have a c: partition and a d: partition..and unallocated space

you format and partition the unalocated space as ntfs..then convert c: and the new E: to dynamic partitions...then create a volume that logically spans c and e...thereby making c one logical volume that includes c and e

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I will try that out on a test machine first. but thats in advance.