Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot defragment because of Chkdsk problem

• Please log in to reply

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hi Wannabe1

Same deal sorry. Nothing is running at all, even though it says it intends to on re-boot.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No...you should be able to start with just the second part...where the dirty bit is unset.

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hi Wannabe1

Just got back from work (Australia)

I did what you said, but I'm afraid it is not playing the game at all.

I have received confirmation from a friend that the disk check is not running at all.

Also I went into My Computer, right clicked C: Drive, tools and it says "No disc fragmenter is installed"

Could this be significant do you think?

When I go to the defragmenter it still seems to be there with the usual box on top of it re the scheduled dskchk message.

Over to you again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if we have some missing or corrupt system files...this will also include trying the chkdsk again.

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (Again...note the space) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

Let me know if these will run...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
just as a thought...have we tried running chckdsk from RC?

On re-boot at the end of the process, I got the englarged font on the plain blue background that said, "Cannot open the volume for direct access - Windows has finished checking the disk."

my reasoning here is that possibly something in windows is locking the volume somehow...and maybe running checkdisk from outside would make a difference?

(i know that won't make much sense to you yeoman but i know wannabe get's my drift)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup, I do get the drift, dsenette, thanks.

Let me know if my last instructions have any effect. If not, we'll give Recovery Console a try. :tazz:

wannabe1

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thanks Wannabe1 and Dsnette

I will try your suggestion as soon as I get back from work today in eight hours or so (just leaving)

Rgds Yeoman

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
:tazz:

Problem solved !!

Good morning Wannabe1 and others interested. My problem was solved locally by a tech at work, although it took him three or four hours of messing about. In the spirit of this site I will outline what was done to enable me to defrag again (as I have recorded it). I.e. to get rid of the box that came up saying, "Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volue: (c:) Please run Chkdsk /f"

I know that you did in fact tell me to do all these things, but I am sure that I would have mucked it up at some stage. I recall being unable to find the "Boot execute" modification because I was looking in the wrong place. Anyway here goes.

RUN - type regedit

HK Local machine/system/current control set/control/session management

R Click "Boot execute" - click modify

Change whatever is there to "autocheck autochk f *"

OK Close down

Re-boot hit F8 key - produces dropdown

Click safe mode

HDD light solid for say 15 mins - when finished loads windows automatically

Re-boot again

END

I hope this makes sense. I would just like to thank all of you for being so helpful. You have certainly won me on this site for the future. It is very reassuring just knowing that someone out there cares enough to talk to complete strangers about their computer problems, however boring it may be to experts.

Thanks again guys, and keep up the good work.

Yeoman from Australia

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks for letting us know, Yeoman. We're glad you got everything sorted out! :tazz:

wannabe1

chkdsk_helper

chkdsk_helper

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Everybody, THIS IS THE FIX for the problem:

How to make checkdisk (chkdsk) to run on boot:

**Please note, every time I say to reboot, that means you must SHUT DOWN your computer and wait about 10 seconds before booting it up again.
A restart will move the changes from session to session.**

The following steps must be performed to remove the dirty bit, and to enable chkdsk to access the drive:

1. Set your Diskeeper program to run a boot check -- Check every single value except for the a: drive, and set it for drive C:

2. Click the Start button on your taskbar, click RUN, and type in CMD. type in the command: "sfc /scanonce" without the quotes, and press enter

3. Go to My Computer, right click Drive C, and go to Properties. Click the Tools Tab and click Check Now. Select both checkboxes and set it. It will prompt you to run it at boot, say Yes.

4. Shut Down your computer, and then boot it back up again. -- **again, do not select RESET, but instead select Shut Down

5. Once the computer boots up, the chkdsk will Fail, then diskeeper will fail, then diskeeper will fail again. This is perfectly normal.

6. When the computer gets to the login page, please Log In. You will notice a scan for disk changes taking place. When it prompts you for the Windows boot disk, just say Cancel. After a couple Cancel's / No's, please click on the Cancel button of the scan. It will say something like are you sure, just say yes, and all the prompts will dissappear.

7. Open up Diskeeper once more and CLEAR all boot-scans on the problem volume.

8. Right click on your Drive C: and again click on Properties, click Tools tab and click clean now. Now this time only select the bottomcheckbox and scan the drive. This scan will start now, and will take about 15 minutes to run.

9. Once the scan has completed, go to your taskbar, click START, click RUN, and type CMD. Now please type in "fsutil dirty query c:" without the quotes and hit ENTER. It should say that Volume C: is dirty.

10. Now in the same window, please type "chkdsk /i" without the quotes, and hit ENTER. This scan will take about 10 minutes.

11. Once that scan has completed, please type "chkdsk /r" without the quotes, and hit ENTER.

12. Please shut down your computer.

13. Boot up your computer.

14. The chkdsk utility will run (5 layer scan, which takes about 1.5 hours), and the dirty bit will be removed.

15. You can now run disk defragmentor / diskeeper again.

16. If this guide did not work, please start again from step 1, as some instances require you to do the process twice.

I hope everything works out great for you, because I have tested this solution on multiple platforms and it has worked every time.

Advertisements

aquarius012273

aquarius012273

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I know I am pulling back up an old thread, but I hope someone would help. I use PerfectDisk instead of Diskeeper, but on my Vista Home Premium laptop it behaves in the same exact way. If I schedule a boot time defrag, the defrag would call a chkdsk, and every time it does that, the chkdsk starts to run and stops at 8% (step 1 of 5). I have let it run that way for 13 hours without any change, or any indication of disk activity in the HDD light. This happens even if I manually schedule a boot-time chkdsk /f command.

I came across this thread while trying to find a solution to my problem. However, it appears that many of the solutions here would not apply to my case, since upon checking with chkntfs and fsutil query dirty, both commands show that my disk is not dirty.

Can someone please help me with this issue? I have gone crazy trying to find a solution. Please help!

chkdsk_helper

chkdsk_helper

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am sorry, I do not know of a program named Perfect Disk. I would recommend installing Diskeeper instead.
I wish I could be more help to you.

Good luck with the error,
Chkdsk_Helper.

Edited by chkdsk_helper, 20 August 2007 - 09:35 AM.

aquarius012273

aquarius012273

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you for your reply. However, I perhaps did not elaborate enough on the actual problem. It has nothing to do with Diskeeper or PerfectDisk (both well-known 3rd party defraggers for PCs). These or any such defragger call up chkdsk to run a boot-time disk check before they can run for a boot-time defragmentation. The problem is when chkdsk starts running at boot up; it stops at 8% and that's it - it does nothing else, absolutely.

This happens even if I manually schedule a chkdsk on the primary hard drive to run at boot-time.

I hope there is someone in this forum who can help me with this...

Liviu Musat

Liviu Musat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem, only with D: drive, C: is ok.
What if all of those things don't work and check disk still starts - could there be a hdd problem after all ? When I open check disk manually or let windows complete all 5 stages, it never finds any problems, but check disk always starts.