Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to find the Video on a DVD Disk?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
I have a feeling this might be illegal somehow but I am trying to convert a DVD for playing on an iPod.

My question doesn't have anything to do with the iPod though, but I'm using a program that will convert it, but I need to find the video. I open my DVD Disk and all I see are weird files like VIDEO_TS.VOB and like 20 other .VOB's. I have no clue what these are and I need to find the video to conver it. Any ideas?

Thanks, JoeTurf

Advertisements

//Nathan

//Nathan

• Pip
  • 7 posts
The feature on a DVD video will be spread across a few VOB files. If your computer can play DVD videos, Windows Media Player can open VOB files. Likely the movie is the first ~1GB VOB file and the 1GB VOBs that follow plus the next one after that. You can test it by playing the VOBs.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i have a feeling y ou're asking about somethin illegal too...if you're talking about a DVD that you purchased or rented or otherwise didn't make yourself...then it's illegal to bypass any copy protection on the dvd...if by some act of god there's not copy protection on the dvd..then you can use most dvd ripping software to pull the movie off the dvd...it's HIGHLY unlikely that you will find a dvd WITHOUT copy protection on it....on that note..i'm closing this thread...if you have an issue with that...pm a moderator or an admin