Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A-squared

• Please log in to reply

brad656

brad656

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello. Please help me. I don't know too much about computers, but I try to keep mine running well. I've downloaded three anti-spyware programs (ad-aware SE, spybot search and destroy and a2). I run them regularly and do online scans and other anti-virus scans. Mostly, I get a bunch of spyware listed with Spybot, which deletes it all (though the same ones reoccur). I use a2 and it says I'm doing fine, but when I use it's HiJackFree function, it lists various malicious programs that are connected to good programs (if you're familiar with A Squared HiJackFree's rating system, what I'm saying is I get a good many 'yellow' programs listed, which, when I click 'view details' tell me that there are malicious programs that 'require attention', that were not taken-off by the a-squared scan). Some of these things are seriously malicious trojans (like PROXY-X), but I have no idea how to get them off with my computer.
My question(s):
1.Are these threats as serious as a-squared says they are? --because they are connected to 'good' programs!
2. If they are as bad as it says, is there a way that I could get them off of my computer manually?
3. If I can, can you tell me how, even walk me thru it? (remember: I don't know too much about computers!)
4. If I can't with my limited knowledge, what else can I do?

Thanks for considering my questions---please help me!

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Use this free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and attach your log here. Don't post it. Attach it.

brad656

brad656

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I don't know what you mean by "Attach it", but I have the logfile.
How do I attach it?

Edited by brad656, 13 March 2006 - 07:45 PM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Hit reply and you should get the reply page. Below the box you type in, there is a box that says file attachments with a browse button next to it. Browse to the hijack this file and click add this attachment. :tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I looked at the log when you posted it the first time. You have a trojan.

Please read these instructions. You will post the log in the malware section as instructed. Sorry this is so confusing.

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

brad656

brad656

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
okay. I hit 'browse' and I found the HijackThis file, I pressed 'Add this attachment' and it brought me back to this reply screen, with nothing typed in the browse box...

Edited by brad656, 14 March 2006 - 07:17 AM.

brad656

brad656

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
can I just 'post' it?

brad656

brad656

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Where is the 'malware section'?
I'm lost...
I read the guide. It said I have to download anti-spyware programs and I already have them.
I downloaded Hijackthis. I got a log. what should I do now?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Post the log in a new topic here

http://www.geekstogo...hp?showforum=37

brad656

brad656

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts