Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anyway to delay startup of programs?

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Hello all, is there away to delay a the time a programs starts up?

I got my antivirus, firewall, instant messaging programs, and others starting-up all at the same time when Windows first-starts.

Is there anyway to delay a programs start up time after Windows start? The start up of Windows is slow, and yes, I know I can change the settings of most of these programs so I can start them up manually, but I am very forgetful...

Just wondering...

Advertisements

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
hmmm... if you don't really transfer files b/w pc's or download them off the net, why not just disable auto-start of your anti-virus and just schedule it to run several times a week at specific times? as for your firewall, think it's safest if you let it load on startup...especially if youre on broadband... dunno about the rest but hope i helped. :tazz:

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

hmmm... if you don't really transfer files b/w pc's or download them off the net, why not just disable auto-start of your anti-virus and just schedule it to run several times a week at specific times? as for your firewall, think it's safest if you let it load on startup...especially if youre on broadband... dunno about the rest but hope i helped. :)

Heh, I download things a lot, I need my antivirus on. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you still don't neccesarily need the AV programs to do a startup scan...if you normally leave your computer on..just schedule a full scan at a time when you don't need the machine....like when you're at work or school...or at night when you are asleep....i try to never enable starup or shutdown scans...they cause more issues as you get more things running....i mean...it's like flooring the engine on your car as soon as you turn the ignition....you run up to peak speed before the engine has time to lubricate and settle from the startup....same thing with your computer....the hardest time on the processor is at startup...why add such a labor intensive process at that most critical time?

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

you still don't neccesarily need the AV programs to do a startup scan...if you normally leave your computer on..just schedule a full scan at a time when you don't need the machine....like when you're at work or school...or at night when you are asleep....i try to never enable starup or shutdown scans...they cause more issues as you get more things running....i mean...it's like flooring the engine on your car as soon as you turn the ignition....you run up to peak speed before the engine has time to lubricate and settle from the startup....same thing with your computer....the hardest time on the processor is at startup...why add such a labor intensive process at that most critical time?

Its really annoying I can't find an option on my AVG antivirus, "Don't start on Windows startup" or something to that effect. :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Go to Start/run... type in msconfig.

Go to the Startup tab and uncheck AVG entries.

This will stop AVG from starting up.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Go to Start/run... type in msconfig.

Go to the Startup tab and uncheck AVG entries.

This will stop AVG from starting up.

Thank you! The start up is a lot better now! :tazz: