Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

outlook express

• Please log in to reply

TSF

TSF

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Help me please!

I uninstalled Norton antivirus AND McAfee because Outlook wouldn't let me access incoming emails. I used the uninstall from the computer panel. I did download AVG afterwards. However I still cannot access incoming mail due to "an unknown error has occured". I removed Norton and McAfee when I discovered they were both running. All was working fine and then BAM - no access.

Advertisements

th3

th3

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi there,

I used to have this problem all the time with Norton. My work around was to delete the mail account from OE and then set up a new one with the same details as before. That often triggered Norton to ask if it was ok to allow access.

You might also like to check in the folders under program files to see if there are any McAfee and Symantec folders left (willing to bet there are..) Delete them and see how you get on (check you don't have any other Symantec products though :tazz: )

There's also a guide here to removing Norton

Edited by th3, 14 March 2006 - 12:49 AM.

BillZ

BillZ

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Dear ISF,

I have read repeatedly that running Mcafee and NAV causes conflict. I also agree with Tony that there will be residues causing problems.

If what Tony suggests doesn't work could I suggest the following:-

Uninstall AVG

Install NAV and get that working including the email thing yu were worried about.

Once that is done, if you still want AVG uninstall NAV and install AVG.

No guarantees but maybe?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z